IGNORED

Finished Passenger Floorboard & Detachable Trunk Mods

Boe

Finaly finished. After listening to everyone talk about floorboard placement making your passenger more comfortable I thought I would give it a try myself.

I first cut the hinge off the OEM floorboard mounts and added length with 1/4" plate. I then welded a vertical piece to the new end moving the bottom down and forward. After shaping the new horizontal piece to match the angle of the original I carried that same angle down the new vertical piece which is now forward 3" and down 3".

Next I cut the "T" end of a Harley Davidson floorboard mount and welded it to the bottom of the new vertical end. To minimize flex and add strength I welded gussets to the newly formed front and back inside angle and shaped to fit aroung the exhaust down tube. After the piece was chromed I added a new set of Kuryakyn boards.

For the trunk I paid $10 for a HD fender rack at a salvage shop and cut all the flanges of it and welded it to a RSTD detachable backrest I bought on ebay for $50 (what a steal). I made the weld just above the latching mechanism. Once that was in place it made the backrest ridged enough to cut the upright hoop away just above the weld and not lose the correct angles and possition to allow it to click into place on the fender rail. To minimize any vibration or flex that might come up I welded a small strut to each side from the horizantal rack on an angle down to and existing hole in the fender rail.

Once the entire piece was chromed I added an HD tour pak painted to match my bike and now I have a detachable trunk I can just click out as needed.

My wife is much happier. It took some time but boy is it worth it.