IGNORED

Negatives for 89 Gold Wing??

Yammer Dan

Negatives for 89 Gold Wing?? I found a Wing Trike not far from me and thought about taking a look. Dude swears it looks like new but what problems did the 89 have? Is that the one that you have to pull engine to fix oil leak? Or stator? He claims "Easy Ride" steering , Air suspension, Intercom system. Not sure what type of Trike. Wondering if I should go look. Asking price of 11k is Too much. If he wouldn't drop a good chunk I would be walking away pretty quick? Think it's worth a look??

89 would be a Gl1500, flat 6 cylinder, has reverse, no stators on these, its a real alternator of which a Saturn car one can be used, or you can buy ones with very high output.

$11,0000 is too much, you can get a newer Gl1800 for that money. I own 6 Goldwings, but i know nothing about trikes, but a Goldwing trike is the very best. At the least you should aim for 95 or newer, they are pretty much the same until 98 and then they changed the headlights, i converted my 93 and 95 to the newer style, go cruise over at www.goldwingfacts.com

And the alternator comes out very easy on these, just bolts to the left side rear if engine, its nothing like a stator on the earlier Goldwings like the gl1200, gl1100 and older those require engine removal.

$11,0000 is too much, you can get a newer Gl1800 for that money.

I agree... even up here in CanNuhDuh you can get those for around 4-6 grand

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/prince-george/89-gl1500-with-low-kilometers/1072329231?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

here's a sweet '98

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/100-mile-house/goldwing-se-aspencade/1072302110?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

EDIT: ooooopps ... these aren't TRIKES are they LOL

$11000 might be realistic for a TRIKE ?

Edited by SilvrT

$11,000 is a little high for an 89 1500 trike depending on conversion kit and miles. If you remember him Wiredgeorge just sold his 98 Goldwing Trike for $12000.00 but that was a Hannigan. I have a 1990 GL SE trike that looks and runs great for sale that I am not getting any calls on at $8000.00. You should go look at it and if you like it make him an offer.The worst that can happen is he'll say no,but you might come to an agreement at some other price.

the 1500 mtr by far is the best motor in my opinion for preventive maintenance ! 1200 mtr comes out to replace the stator , 1500 doesn't it has alternator 1800 doesn't either for the alternator But it does for the water pump! Pain and stupid design

Now the 1500 comes out if your clutch plates are bad but I never did on any of mine ! My old 90 wing had over 160,000 when I sold it

i owned 88-90-93 1500 models only difference is 88-89 had way more vacuum lines and 90 models had up graded to less vacuum hoses and 93 models up graded the cams and so on and so on over the years

Negatives for 89 Gold Wing?? I found a Wing Trike not far from me and thought about taking a look. Dude swears it looks like new but what problems did the 89 have? Is that the one that you have to pull engine to fix oil leak? Or stator? He claims "Easy Ride" steering , Air suspension, Intercom system. Not sure what type of Trike. Wondering if I should go look. Asking price of 11k is Too much. If he wouldn't drop a good chunk I would be walking away pretty quick? Think it's worth a look??

Dan, The price is way to high for that bike. What trike kit is it? Some kits are so much better than others. There is an 89 Goldwing trike here that a friend of mine who builds trikes took in on trade that I can buy for $5300. And that motor is a 200,000 mile motor and so much easier to work on than the 1000 through 1200 motors.