IGNORED

1983 carb float needle where to find

Hi all. Working on my 1983 carb and I think I need some new float needles,

So do I have to use needles for the 83, looks like everything on ebay is for 86 on.

And if so who has the 83 float needles for sale. Thanks.

Hi all. Working on my 1983 carb and I think I need some new float needles,

So do I have to use needles for the 83, looks like everything on ebay is for 86 on.

And if so who has the 83 float needles for sale. Thanks.

Indeed the 1200 float valve assembly is unique to the 1983-1985. And to the 1987-1988 XV535. All use the Mikuni BDS34. Subsequent XVZ13 models use the Mikuni BDS35.

The needle is apparently not available by itself. One seems to have to purchase the entire valve assembly, PN 22U-14190-15-00. Same assembly is used on the 1987 & 1988 Virago XV535.

New assembly can be purchased from Yamaha or here: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-22U-14190-15-00.html

Doing a quick search on eBay for the above part number uncovered just ONE: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Yamaha-Needle-Valve-Virago-535-XVZ12-22U-14190-15-00-NOS-/261461717647?hash=item3ce055328f&vxp=mtr

Let me do a bit more research and see if I can't find an alternative source for just the needle.

Edited by Prairiehammer

Mike,

Don't hold me to this, but I think if you replaced the 1983 float needle valve with the needle valve for the 1986+, that the 1986 needle will work with your 1983 float valve seat and 1983 float (also not available), BUT you may have to reset the fuel level and cut off part of the new float needle wire clip to accommodate the 1983 float. It appears from my research that while the 1983 and the 1986 float valve SEAT are the same size (1.5mm), the float valve needle is slightly different in length. Thus, if you put the 1986 float valve needle in place of the 1983 float valve needle, the actual fuel level in the float bowl will be different. Note that the fuel level spec for the 1983 is 14mm± 0.5mm, whereas the fuel level specification for the 1986 is IIRC 16.5mm.

Again, don't blame me if it doesn't work out. YMMV.:thumbsup:

at $17 each for the stock parts (needle and seat) wouldn't it make sense to do that instead of modifying parts to correct fuel level? and looks like that seat must have an o-ring as the needle is metal. is the O-ring included? not shown with stock needle & seat assy P/N.

at $17 each for the stock parts (needle and seat) wouldn't it make sense to do that instead of modifying parts to correct fuel level? and looks like that seat must have an o-ring as the needle is metal. is the O-ring included? not shown with stock needle & seat assy P/N.

I thought you might want to save a bit of money by buying just the 1986 needle for $8 or so, instead of the $17-$20 for the 1983 needle and seat.

The seat does have an O-ring, but to replace that O-ring, one has to remove the seat from the carb body. Some needle and seat assemblies include the seat O-ring, but some so do not. If the seat is removed from the carb, most likely you will also squash the net filter. The net filter is included with the seat on some, not included with other seat assemblies. Then there is the matter of the O-ring on the seat chamber cap. When the seat is removed from the carb, the cap is necessarily removed. The O-ring on the cap may be damaged when the cap is forced out of the carb by the seat.

The seat is all brass. On the 1986 needle the tip is Viton ("rubber"). The Viton tip assists with seating the needle tip securely against the seat. Perhaps that Viton tip is the difference between the 1983 and the 1986 needle?

The only modification needed MAY be to simply clip a corner off the needle spring clip to facilitate sliding the float on. Some of the needles have a closed loop spring clip and the prevents the float from engaging the needle.

float valve seat, net filter, MKII.jpgFloat valve RetainingCap, 41R-14118-​01-00.jpgFloat valve assembly part numbers.jpgfloat valve removed (Large).jpg

All this seems like a good reason to go to fuel injection but that's way too expensive! There was a post on e bay for a aluminum intake/adapter to replace all the carbs with one from our friends at Volkswagen....how it ties in to the TCI is past my understanding...it was $500 for the intake manifold and the carb... I think....the post seems to be gone now...

Yes, definitely I'm about saving $40 if I can make it happen easy enough.. and I thought the Viton tips went in metal seats (which may well be installed in the body with O-rings) and the metal tip needles go against tiny rubber O-rings pushed into the seats. Small engines mostly had metal pins and O-rings and we had a special tool to remove them (air compressor) and special tool for installing them (4mm allen key with spit or oil if you're feeling sexy).

I'm going to soak/spray/squirt my carbs to clear them if the old girl doesn't clear up udling on the seafoam (it won't) and I understand I can split the rack in two without needing to resync. will see if I can dunk those pairs in the gallon of chemdip but I'm sure to need the rubber parts.

does anyone have a carb kit or list of the rubber parts for my '84 XVZ1200?? (not to hhi-jack and I'll post a new thread but figured this one might get traffic too (and I'll probably be changing something rubber in the needle/seat too!).

I went for the needles that were on ebay I hope that will be enough to stop the gas leak, I may have got the very last two needle for sale on ebay so may be time to stock up on some of the hard to find parts for the 83.

Thanks for all the help.