IGNORED

Frankenbike! :O

shuttlebug

I went to Costco, and was looking at big screen tvs- thought I could buy one with the insurance money I got from the Yamaha. Then I thought, I could die of an embolism in front of that thing watching other people have fun, so against the advice of (some) family and friends, I have resolved to use that money to rebuild the Yamaha RSV from the frame up! The new (to me) frame arrived today. I am stripping the old frame of everything not broken, and buying used to replace what was to keep the costs down. Hopefully I will heal before the bike does :) My question is- in the wreck, the left rear mounting lug for the engine stay was broken off, but the forward one is ok. How important are the engine stays and can I get by without changing the head? Will only one lug on the left be ok?

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: AND BEST WISHES ON YOUR PROJECT MR. BUG!!!!!!

I have built a number of chops thru the years,, including some pretty good sized (100 inch stuff) big torque motored bikes (LOTS OF 750 Honda's too) and have been amazingly successful at doing away with the top mounts on em. It is actually a pretty common thing to do in the custom bike world.. That said though,, none of these motors had a bevel gear that transferred all that torque into a rotational axis within the frame,, lots to think about there!! Plus,, you probably will want to tow that gorgeous trailer again too,, adding more rotational torque.. I have never had a Venture apart (one of the main reasons I LOVE em is cause I havent had to - just ride em till they drop and buy the next one) so I gotta ask a couple things Mr Bug..

Is that frame mount boss on the head or on the valve cover?? Valve cover would be an easy fix..

Can ya tell by looking at it that it is a clean break (not cracked thru)...

Is the 2nd Gen frame bolted together like a 1st Gen (so the "saddle" that the motor actually sets in can be unbolted)? I would trust the stability of a non-bolted complete frame before I would a bolt together,, probably for the same reason you dont see a lot of big inch bikes with integral engines (using the engine as part of the frame)..

Come to think Shuttlebug,,,, knowing you folks and how you ride - towing the xtra weight - spending all the time doing a frame up - I would fix right!!

Congrats on the decision to rebuild. As for the engine mounting lug, It may be okay without it, but will you? What I mean is, I fix up old cars and recently found some, shall we say "mediocre," repairs on one of them that I never knew were there. I have been driving the car this way for a long time with no issues at all. But now "I" know it isn't right and I have it torn apart fixing it right. Probably not necessary from a performance or safety standpoint but I know it isn't right and it gnaws at me. So if it were me and I was going to the extent you are, I don't know what I would do. But, I do know that when it was done it would bother me that I didn't fix it when I could have.

Well, I slept on it and have come to a similar conclusion- I'm just being lazy. I'll just get two used, lower mileage heads and make her better than she was. It should be a walk in the park with the engine out :) I will be pushing her a bit with the trailer and it will be bothering me (will that last lug bust off and open up the water jacket in Wyoming, ON MY LEG! :o). Thank you Cowpuc and Oldodge for some sage advice. I got time anyway, my rt wrist is still in a cast, so I should do it right. See y'all on the trail! Brian B

Well, I slept on it and have come to a similar conclusion- I'm just being lazy. I'll just get two used, lower mileage heads and make her better than she was. It should be a walk in the park with the engine out :) I will be pushing her a bit with the trailer and it will be bothering me (will that last lug bust off and open up the water jacket in Wyoming, ON MY LEG! :o). Thank you Cowpuc and Oldodge for some sage advice. I got time anyway, my rt wrist is still in a cast, so I should do it right. See y'all on the trail! Brian B

Count on it bro!! Best of the best on the repair and healing!!