IGNORED

Front fork conversion

I have the 83 royale (so it says on the title) but the model is XVZ12DKC2 making it an 84 in the parts catalog.

I think I will have to ditch the CLASS and go to the manual style due to controller issues.

What's involved in converting the front forks?

I will eventually overhaul the forks as is so strongly recommended in the forum; just not right now I will (now) if it's required to make the conversion however.

Thanks in advance!

I need a parts list and any advice would be a good thing!:fingers-crossed-emo

To just hook up a shraeder you screw it into the air line coming off the front forks. If you look at your plastic cover for the handle bar center you will see the hole where they mount it for the standard.

Instead of rebuilding your MK1 forks, you may be better served getting a set of MK2 forks. That way you can put better 4 piston R1/R6 calipers. The anti dive is electric instead of hydraulic, and are activated via a relay triggered by the brake lights...

You are talking about converting the front forks from CLASS air supplied to a Schrader supplied air?

If so, simply obtain the hose from a Standard Venture (all years) that goes from the right air collar to the upper tree mount next to the ignition switch. Remove the air line from the compressor valve assembly that goes to the right fork air collar and install the short hose with the Schrader valve.

Here is a pic of the hose you need, complete with Schrader valve:

attachment.php?attachmentid=83622&stc=1&d=1397930479

The above hose is available on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1984-83-84-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-TK-XVZ-1200-Front-Fork-Air-Hose-Line-2-/190953436135?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVenture&hash=item2c75b633e7&vxp=mtr

Here is a pic of the complete fork air assembly with collars and hoses:

attachment.php?attachmentid=83623&stc=1&d=1397930588

This assembly is available on eBay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ12-Fork-Tube-Air-Joints-/321219686742?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aca2f7156&vxp=mtr

Here is a front fork air assembly with Schrader and collars and hoses for just $12!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-1993-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-XVZ12-XVZ13-Front-Fork-Air-Joints-/221245719956?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338345c594&vxp=mtr

Since you only need to remove, from the right fork air collar, the one hose that comes from the compressor/valve assembly and substitute the short hose with the Schrader valve, all the suggested eBay items will suffice, albeit collars and connecting hose between the collars will be excess for your immediate needs and will not have to replaced or changed. For half the price of the one hose alone, I'd spend twelve dollars and buy the last cited assembly. Just use the hose that contains the Schrader and file the rest of the parts.

Edited by Prairiehammer