IGNORED

2014 Ural upgrades (EFI!)

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Its interesting to see that Ural, a very small manufacturer of 2WD sidecar motorcycles, is spending money to upgrade the 2014 rigs.

For most of you, this list of upgrades wont mean much (not being familiar with the bikes), except the part about EFI, and maybe the part about disk brakes all around.

BTW...They DID forget the cassette player!

:whistling:

The Urals are lots of fun...but no, they aren't really touring bikes.

http://www.imz-ural.com/

Serial production at the factory is currently scheduled for December, with the first units arriving in January, 2014.

November is the last production month for carbureted Urals. Also keep in mind October and November production is mixed with limited edition production (Gaucho Rambler).

2014 Models line-up

Gear Up, Patrol, T and M70 models. Patrol T and Tourist will be discontinued.

2014 Colors

Gobi Camouflage, Forest Camouflage, Forest Fog, Orange/Silver, Blue/White, Green, Red will be discontinued. Completely new color palette due out before the end of year.

2014 Availability

- First 2014 bikes to arrive January 2014

- M70 earliest availability is April 2014.

What’s new for 2014

Front end

• All new forged aluminum upper and lower bridges with integrated handlebar mounts

• New fork legs with no taper on top

• Hydraulic steering damper, 18-step adjustable

• New fork covers

Gas tank

• New URAL badges

• New self-adhesive knee pads with IMZ logo

• Pre-formed fuel lines

• Screen fuel filter inside the gas tank and additional fuel filter before the fuel pump

• Optical fuel level sensor inside the gas tank

Dash board and instruments

• New plastic dash-board

• New style signal lamp

• Two additional signal lamps (engine malfunction lamp and low fuel level lamp)

Engine and exhaust

• EFI system

• New camshaft to produce better torque

• New front cover with spin-on oil filter

• All new bigger-volume air-filter with housing, cover and snorkel made from plastic

• New flywheel with additional “teeth” for RPM-meter

• Cylinder heads with ports for temperature sensors

• New catalysts

• New exhaust pipes without separate cross-pipe and with ports for oxygen sensors

Electrical

• All new wire harness

• New ignition switch

Wheels

• New rear aluminum cast hub with pressed-in steel sleeve and plastic protective cover

• New front/sidecar aluminum cast hubs with pressed-in steel sleeve

• Removable splined flange for rear wheel and sidecar wheel for 2wd models

• Wheel bearing installed with circlips and protected with extra seal

• New sidecar axel nut cover

Front Brake

• New reaction link made by FRAP (Italy)

Rear brake

• HB integrated (hydraulic + mechanical) 2-piston floating caliper with NG sold disc

• New parking brake drive and handle

Sidecar brake

• Brembo 2-piston caliper with NG floating disc

Final drive

• New universal final drive housing

• New (standard) 2wd shifting fork fixator

Other

• New outsourced sidecar struts

• New folding shovel

• New “European” style fluid canister

• Outsourced shifting forks for gearbox and 2wd final drive

• Outsourced breather

• Numerous outsourced special fasteners

• Outsourced steering lock

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm outsourced from where?

Are they going to retain the Earls Front Fork?

Urals have a LOT of parts that are outsourced. The company finds good sources for parts that the Russian factory needs to update the bikes to modern standards.

For instance, they now have Nippon Denso alternators, Keihin carburetors, Herzog (German) gears, Domino switchgear, SKF bearings, Brembo brakes, Sachs suspension, and a variety of other good quality catalog parts.

Similar to the Yamaha Venture, or Harleys in general, various parts are shipped in and installed. Not unlike American cars and pickups. This is just the way things are done now.

The picture shows a pre-production 2014 Ural Patrol, still in the factory, and it still has the leading-link forks.

No worries mate!

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis

The new EFI Ural is scheduled for EPA testing in October and November...The mandatory testing takes place in and around Ontario California, and it will take 2 riders working in shifts, riding the bike 15,000 miles in about 4-6 weeks.

If any of you are around that area, you might see them being ridden.

Be sure to wave and cause some UDF if you can!

Guest tx2sturgis
the ural solo, looks fun for around town, was thinking of a other toy for the garage

For the price of a new Solo, you can buy a fairly late model used Tourist or Retro on Craigslist or eBay. I have seen them for sale in the $5000 to $10,000 range.

I would think the sidecar rig would be more fun as a second bike...but either way, they are durable, easy to maintain bikes.

One of the best Ural dealers is in Florida:

http://www.powersportstv.com/dealers/4078921901/Holopaw-Corvette-Inc./

Listings I found:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/4040236972.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ural-TOURIST-W-CAR-/130997987397?hash=item1e8016a845&vxp=mtr#ht_3428wt_728

http://killeen.craigslist.org/mcd/4030937303.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4064012285.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/4087651946.html (older 650cc)

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Hmmm, can we volunteer to help drive the Urals for those 15,000 miles???

I bet you can! :)

But the guys that are assigned, both from Washington State, are getting paid...generously, I assume.

The Ural is not what you would call 'comfy' and making the same loop over and over and over again in and around Ontario CA doesnt sound like much fun.

Long days for weeks on end looking at the same route again and again.

They BETTER pay well.

Update:

I assume the testing will be done by this company:

http://www.automotivetesting.com

They list opportunities on the employment page...there ya go!

:smile5:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I would LOVE one of the 2wd Urals. It looks like they have advanced from BMW circa 1955 to BMW circa 1975. Technology is driving on even in Russia.:smile5:

One of these years a Ural will complete the perfect motorcycle fleet:

Venture for two-up touring

FJR1300 for LD/Rally riding

KLR650 for camping and dual sport riding

BMW R1000RR for accumulating performance awards

Ural for sidecar riding with the dog and winter riding.

C'mon lottery ticket!!

Guest tx2sturgis
I would LOVE one of the 2wd Urals. It looks like they have advanced from BMW circa 1955 to BMW circa 1975. Technology is driving on even in Russia.:smile5:

Yeah they can put men in space...right now...America cant!

Ural for sidecar riding with the dog and winter riding.

Dogs and winter riding...CHECK!

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Can we start a "Lets buy Ground-Hugger a Ural" fund raising event????:detective: It seems like such a worthwhile endeavor!:whistling:

Sure. First dollar is in the pot.

:whistling:

• 2 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

The Ural 2014 EFI equipped test rig has been ridden over the last several weeks in Ontario California for 15,000 clicks and the first container load of 18 units of 2014 model year Urals have arrived in Redmond Washington. Brake testing, mostly a formality, begins shortly.

MMMMMM interesting when I was a little boy (many many moons ago) I used to ride in the tank of my Dad's BMW/R .......... Ural kind of remind me those and now they coming EFI and they even have one with my name all over, the "Ural Gaucho Rambler " if I only had the dough and a garage but who knows, that is one of the many things I love about this country if you really want something there is nothing impossible:whistling:

Too bad the logistics are, as pure-bred Irish people would put it, "****e". It appears it's easier and faster to get an Ural in the US than in Ireland -- but they all come from Russia and no, the US-bound ones didn't take the shortcut over Japan :D

There is no dealer in Ireland (well, officially there is one but has no website, doesn't read mail, doesn't answer phone -- you know the kind -- and if you show up to their gate and ask they go "What? Motorcycles? No, we've always manufactured bolts, ain't heard nothin' of no motorcycles here!"). There are two dealers in the UK: one of them will say they heard nothing of such a motorcycle called "Ural" as they only sell Royal Enfields.

The other one looks and acts the part (at least when they get up their arse and update their website) , but is an old guy (no offence intended to anyone else here) that still thinks the world extends only to the UK mainland's shores and got all scared and suspicious when I told him I'm from Ireland and would like to do the paperwork the right way around so that I don't end up paying taxes twice.

So then I did his job and homework and gathered all the relevant laws and regulations (most of which were links from hmrc.gov.uk, you can't get more legit than that) and sent him the exact quote where it explains how and why you should file which papers where to get exactly what I proposed first: pay taxes only once. He read through it and remained scared and suspicious.

Oh well, some people just don't understand business (i.e. that in order to have a successful business, you must do business first) ... and I'll leave it at that as I'm too mad to be polite anymore.

The cash is on the table, if there were a Ural dealership next block, I'd go out right now and ride the bike back home. But it would appear Ural (the company) is fine without my cash :(

Guest tx2sturgis

The cash is on the table, if there were a Ural dealership next block, I'd go out right now and ride the bike back home. But it would appear Ural (the company) is fine without my cash :(

Your story is a puzzle to me. I have seen many videos of Urals in Europe.

Hmmm.

Awhile back, I wrote an email to Ural about something unrelated here, and within 2 days I had a reply.

It's a relatively small company, focused on customer service in ways I have never seen before.

I'm betting you would not receive a personal email reply (with phone numbers!) from the bigwigs if you sent an email to HD or Yamaha. Customer service reps maybe.

But Ural will reply, I'm certain.

I would send them an email and politely explain the issues. I bet they can figure out a way to sell you a bike. :happy34:

I will post a question over on the Ural forum I belong to and see what shakes out.

http://www.ural.cc/index.php?en_dealers

Edited by tx2sturgis

Your story is a puzzle to me. I have seen many videos of Urals in Europe.
Indeed you have! Ireland and Europe are like Hawaii and the US (or Alaska, if you like): everybody finds an excuse not to ship/sell there, thus leaving the local dealers/service providers (not only in the motorcycling realm) without any competition. We all know what happens where there's no competition, I don't have to tell that story over again, right? :D

Also, Europe (as in "the huge landmass east of the UK mainland" :p) contains Austria, a nice country which appears to contain the equivalent of Ural Europe, from an organizational point of view. Most if not all of Europe deals with those guys when it comes to Urals and things work smoothly because, well, they mean business and they do business.

For some unfathomable reason, the one UK dealer I was mentioning earlier deals directly with the Russians (and over a very slow and bad link, possibly messenger pigeons, I would guess) and posts strange things such as "the first EFI models will ship in March, but we're taking deposits now" and "all bikes are 'carefully' inspected when they arrive, then have the timing and jetting 'adjusted' to our (i.e. the dealer's -- my note) exacting specifications and finally are 'test ridden' by the business owner himself before being handed over to our customers" (my quotes).So, yes, Europe has a lot of Urals (and Ventures too, by the way). Ireland is different, I think there are only about 7 Ventures in the whole country and it kind of makes sense when you go to a dealer and they quote 250% the MSRP for a bolt!

Hmmm.

Awhile back, I wrote an email to Ural about something unrelated here, and within 2 days I had a reply.

It's a relatively small company, focused on customer service in ways I have never seen before.

I'm betting you would not receive a personal email reply (with phone numbers!) from the bigwigs if you sent an email to HD or Yamaha. Customer service reps maybe.

But Ural will reply, I'm certain.

I would send them an email and politely explain the issues. I bet they can figure out a way to sell you a bike. :happy34:

That is a good idea indeed, it's awesome to have somebody with a cool head around to put you back on track -- thanks for that :)

As for HD (and, yes, I know most of the jokes), I used to ride a Sporster for two years here and the local dealer (despite being just two in Ireland, so close to no competition) was absolutely awesome. All questions answered and anything that seemed it may become an issue was proactively fixed under warranty. There are exceptions to the rule, but they're rare.

Thanks for the wise words!

Guest tx2sturgis

The other one looks and acts the part (at least when they get up their arse and update their website) , but is an old guy (no offence intended to anyone else here) that still thinks the world extends only to the UK mainland's shores and got all scared and suspicious when I told him I'm from Ireland and would like to do the paperwork the right way around so that I don't end up paying taxes twice.

So then I did his job and homework and gathered all the relevant laws and regulations (most of which were links from hmrc.gov.uk, you can't get more legit than that) and sent him the exact quote where it explains how and why you should file which papers where to get exactly what I proposed first: pay taxes only once. He read through it and remained scared and suspicious.

I was provided this link to a stocking dealer in England:

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/ural_compare.html

Contact info:

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/contact.html

Hopefully this is a dealer you can work with.

The bad news is that F2 Motorcycles is the "suspicious old man" I was talking about :-)

The good news is that I e-mailed the EU HQ and they managed to wake up our Irish dealer so I'm writing to them right now, hoping for the best.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

• 1 month later...

UPDATES: I've been exchanging emails with the European HQ and they're much nicer guys than the locals. At the time of the last exchange, the expected arrival time for the EU was April 2014.

In the mean time, the owner's manual for the 2014 model showed up on the US site and, guess what: "diagnostic connector for the EFI, intended use: DEALER DIAGNOSTIC ONLY".

That's a show stopper for me, if I wanted to lock myself out of my own property, I'd buy some Windows licences :D Also, April 2014 is about one month later than the prospective launch date for Honda's CTX1300 which is a very VERY attractive choice for me as a post-RSV bike.

We'll see how times unfold ...

Guest tx2sturgis

.....the owner's manual for the 2014 model showed up on the US site and, guess what: "diagnostic connector for the EFI, intended use: DEALER DIAGNOSTIC ONLY".

That's a show stopper for me, if I wanted to lock myself out of my own property, I'd buy some Windows licences :D

Yeah windows sure has some issues...dont get me started!

But...

I wouldnt worry about that warning, written and inserted by lawyers that worry about EPA police.

My Ural has a sticker on the gas tank that says: Warning, left and right hand turns can be dangerous. (huh?)

There are warnings all over the inside of the Ural manual, such as the one that says adding electrical accesories will void the warranty, (there are plugs, switches and extra fuses to do just that!) and the one that says do not use front brake when traveling in reverse. (locked front tires dont steer well, apparently)

My RSV has warnings that tell you not to operate the motorcycle with the forks locked, (duh!), modifications to the exhaust will violate federal law, and dont load more than 20 lbs in the trunk or saddlebags, or this one, that says never exceed 80 mph with saddlebags or trunk attached.

Yeah, right.:rotfl:

Over on the Ural forum that I frequent, there are lots of conversations about this new EFI system on the Urals...you should check it out if you think it might be on your radar:

www.sovietsteeds.com (click on Forums, register for free, and full access)

By the way, some of the Ural company staff and many dealers participate on the sovietsteeds website, providing input for us owners out here in the real world. How cool is that? :)

The new EFI Ural will have some learning curves as far as owners go, but it does use a 'closed loop' EFI, which means it has some ability to compensate for changes in intake and exhaust.

Like you said...time will tell.

Edited by tx2sturgis