IGNORED

Capping the Yics?

I removed my Yics system months ago and capped the ports with rubber vaccuum caps that i got at an automotive store. I capped the inner Yics hoses (bolt and clamp) since i couldnt reach them and used a cap on the outer ports.

Recently, i started getting the popping back and then the strong gas smell. After looking closely during a break on a ride, i noticed that one of my rubber caps had deteriorated to a point where it was just attached by a thin piece of rubber (huge vaccuum leak).

I need to find good quality rubber caps. Any ideas? When my bike started popping and smelling .......i started thinking Yamaha Tenere again, but after finding out my problem is a little one, i am keeping my comfortable beast. Would this type of leak be enough to cause the light popping on decel or should i look elsewhere as well. I did synch my carbs before my cross country trip. Is it time again?

Auto Zone carries a nice little kit with an assortment of them in it...................:thumbsup2:

I removed my Yics system months ago and capped the ports with rubber vaccuum caps that i got at an automotive store. I capped the inner Yics hoses (bolt and clamp) since i couldnt reach them and used a cap on the outer ports.

Recently, i started getting the popping back and then the strong gas smell. After looking closely during a break on a ride, i noticed that one of my rubber caps had deteriorated to a point where it was just attached by a thin piece of rubber (huge vaccuum leak).

I need to find good quality rubber caps. Any ideas? When my bike started popping and smelling .......i started thinking Yamaha Tenere again, but after finding out my problem is a little one, i am keeping my comfortable beast. Would this type of leak be enough to cause the light popping on decel or should i look elsewhere as well. I did synch my carbs before my cross country trip. Is it time again?

I believe the best way to do this is to get some good hose and do the bolt and clamps on all four ports. I did the caps many years ago and I have had a couple of times that the caps gave out. If you cut the hoses and did the bolt/clamp thing on the inside two, it may last for a while, but this tends to be a point that the original hoses deteriate the most.

Yes, with that big of a vacuum leak, it will do all kinds of bad things. If you synced before the leak recently, you are probably good to go after replugging it.

RandyA

I got rid of my YICS tank years ago and simply crossed the ports with the cut down vacumn lines. I've replaced them since them as they did crack.

Somebody was talking about the vacumn cap plugs on the ports on the intake boots a while back and the failure of the caps on them. Someone else mentioned they had driven ball bearings, larger than the port, into short sections of new vacumn line to create a heavy duty cap.

Sounds like an idea I'm going to give a shot when I get back to tinkering with the motor this winter.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I got rid of my YICS tank years ago and simply crossed the ports with the cut down vacumn lines. I've replaced them since them as they did crack.

Somebody was talking about the vacumn cap plugs on the ports on the intake boots a while back and the failure of the caps on them. Someone else mentioned they had drive ball bearings, larger than the port, into short sections of new vacumn line to create a heavy duty cap.

Sounds like an idea I'm going to give a shot when I get back to tinkering with the motor this winter.

Mike

This sounds like an excellent idea.

Those cheap caps from Autozone perish in about 10 minutes.