IGNORED

trunk box reflector

This is the 2 1/2 inch reflector that runs from side to side across the back of the Trunk Box.

I CAREFULLY tried to lift the reflector off of the black plastic molding that it fits into.

BUT....I guess I wasn't careful enough. I cracked it in one spot and broke a corner off it as well.:bawling:

I glued it back together but it still looks like....well.....like it has been broken and glued back together!!!!!!

Does anyone have the reflector that would fit an 88 trunk box...or even a later one that has the lights instead of just the reflector?

PLEASE? I've invested over $100 in LED's for the trunk (and other spots)...and I don't want it to end up looking like crap.

Edited by Trader

I did quite a bit of looking to finally find a replacement reflector on ebay.

There are usually some there but most people think they are made of solid gold.

The one I finally found the emblems had fallen off and the glue was left. once I cleaned off the glue it was fine, but that got the price way down.

I do know that there is one on the side of the road somewhere between Milwaukee and Racine Wisconsin. :whistling:

When you reattach the reflector do not rely on hot melt glue, it let go the first time the temp got into the 20s. The new one is attached with clear RTV.

To get them apart, since you now have a good black back, sacrifice the black back on the new one by sanding it off from the backside, I used a dremel with a 1/2 dia course sanding drum, this way you will not damage the reflector getting it off. Handle it carefully, the weight of the reflector alone is enough to break it if you just hold it wrong.

The 2 halve by themselves are each flimsy. I screwed the black part back onto the trunk to hold the correct shape while I glued the reflector back on.

Don't ask how I learned all of these neat things......:whistling:

One trick to separating thin parts is masking tape... wrap them in several sections and then work one section at a time, retaping as you go. A good single edge razor blade, carefully drawn to create the main "path" and then many fairly soft passes also gets away from the need to use pressure which is doom.