Greetings! Just traded my 05 V-Star 1100 Silverado in on a 07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe, my dream bike! One problem, when I test drove the RSTD, I was in traffic so didn't test the cruise control. Then my husband goes up and buys it for me (a total surprise!), and he didn't try it either! So now I finally get it out on the open highway and when I slide the control up and push the set button, nothing happens. The indicator light does come on, but that's it. And to keep the payments down, we bought this without a warranty. I know...live and learn. Any ideas? I also didn't get an owners manual, so any leads on obtaining one would be helpful.:grandma:

Simplest fix,

There's a white electrical pigtail on the left handlebar. Pull it apart put some anti-oxidant on it and push back together...

Then take her up to 45 mph turn the cruise on (using center switch) and the yellow cruise light should start flashing. After it stops flashing push the set button in for 2-3 seconds and the green light should come on steady.

Note: The cruise won't work below 45 mph.

Could also be the cables need adjusting (more complex) but not a show stopper...

hopefully its just electrical connection, or, the method in which you were trying to engage it...

:confused24:

Greetings! Just traded my 05 V-Star 1100 Silverado in on a 07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe' date=' my dream bike! One problem, when I test drove the RSTD, I was in traffic so didn't test the cruise control. Then my husband goes up and buys it for me (a total surprise!), and he didn't try it either! So now I finally get it out on the open highway and when I slide the control up and push the set button, nothing happens. The indicator light does come on, but that's it. And to keep the payments down, we bought this without a warranty. I know...live and learn. Any ideas? I also didn't get an owners manual, so any leads on obtaining one would be helpful.:grandma:[/quote']

Check that the front and rear brakes are fully returning to the rest position, likewise the clutch lever. Each has a switch that turns off the cruise, and you can't set it if any of those switches are closed.

Will only work in 4th and 5th gear also.

My TD had tassles and the eind kept them pulled in far enough to keep the cruise tripped. Fix was a 12 dollar new bolt that holds the clutch lever on.

Reference to center switch is for ventures. Your on/off is on the right control. Everything else applies.

Signed TDunc

alias TD'sTD

Thanks all!

@Dacheeda: appreciate the link! Getting to work on that.

@captainjoe & Stache: I live in the country and our gravel driveway currently has some major ruts towards the bottom end. Gave me a bad scare pulling in. So the TD is in the garage until the neighbor smooths that out for me this weekend. As soon as I get it back on the road I will try your suggestions. Didn't see the flashing yellow light the first time around, just the green solid one.

@TDunc: Was going about 75 so tassles could be an issue. Guess my User Name wasn't so original, huh? :grandma:

@TDunc: Was going about 75 so tassles could be an issue. Guess my User Name wasn't so original, huh? :grandma:

It just got hard to intro myself with that one. AND I sold my tour deluxe and kept the venture... didnt fit anymore.

Greetings! Just traded my 05 V-Star 1100 Silverado in on a 07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe' date=' my dream bike! One problem, when I test drove the RSTD, I was in traffic so didn't test the cruise control. Then my husband goes up and buys it for me (a total surprise!), and he didn't try it either! So now I finally get it out on the open highway and when I slide the control up and push the set button, nothing happens. The indicator light does come on, but that's it. And to keep the payments down, we bought this without a warranty. I know...live and learn. Any ideas? I also didn't get an owners manual, so any leads on obtaining one would be helpful.:grandma:[/quote']

Another thing, when you set the cruise it takes a little bit for it to take hold. When you set it hit set then resume and it will grab quicker.

Thanks, found the manual.

Looked at the levers and the clutch lever may be the problem. Looks like there's a screw head pressing on the switch. Not sure if that's adjustable or just a screw backing out. Going to look closer in the morning when it's not so sweltering in the garage!

I'm on vacation now until July 9th so planning on putting on a few miles and getting more accustomed to the weight difference. :) That is if I can stand the heat! :225:

Thanks again for all the great info. This is a GREAT forum!

:grandma:

I was wondering about that too. I purchased it from a local dealer whom I assume bought it wholesale as he told me it wasn't a trade-in. How can I find out the in-service date?

As I under stand it, any authorized Yamaha dealer can check the date and transfer the warranty to you.

The closest Yammer dealer to me is 143 miles, in Springfield, MO. I'm planning on taking a road trip there Friday and will check on the warranty coverage.

Meantime I conquered two problems today! Cruise control is fixed! Narrowed it down to the front brake lever, and before making any adjustments, I removed the tassels. That did it! Cruise works like a champ!

Also the choke wouldn't move, and while visiting the dealer I bought it from today, they took a look at it and said it was just hung up. Lubed it, and now it works!

I think my first purchase is going to have to be the wind deflectors for the lower fairing. Lots of heat in there needing to get out! The Yammer retail for them is $200! Anyone know of a less expensive way to go?

Thanks to all for all the helpful suggestions! Continuing to enjoy my ride!