Sometimes, and increasing in frequency, when I try to start my 06 RSv it sounds like my Battery is dead. It trys to turn over and can't,try again same ,after a few try's it starts to turn over,buy sounds slow, but it eventually it starts. At my last fuel stop I checked the battery before I tried to start it, 12.6 volts, but I had to hit the starter button 4 or 5 times. I had the napa store check my battery last week, they said it was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

George

Make sure battery cable bolts are tight on to the Battery.

Check the RED bat cable connection on the starter motor, ( clean and re install )

Possible, failing starter solinoid, ( maby high resistance across it internally )

Remove and Clean the Grounded end of the Black Bat. cable on the engine case.

-- Do a resistance check across the ON Off Contacts of the Ignition Switch, failed

ignition switches are very common on these bikes !!

Purge the carb bowls. each seperatly, open bowl drain, and Key On, make sure fuel runs thru each bowl. One at a time . And run some Sea Foam, might help.

Remove the Plug, from the R/R Unit, and inspect the plug for any sign of burnt or

damaged electrical pins.

Make sure battery cable bolts are tight on to the Battery.

Check the RED bat cable connection on the starter motor, ( clean and re install )

Possible, failing starter solinoid, ( maby high resistance across it internally )

Remove and Clean the Grounded end of the Black Bat. cable on the engine case.

-- Do a resistance check across the ON Off Contacts of the Ignition Switch, failed

ignition switches are very common on these bikes !!

Purge the carb bowls. each seperatly, open bowl drain, and Key On, make sure fuel runs thru each bowl. One at a time . And run some Sea Foam, might help.

Remove the Plug, from the R/R Unit, and inspect the plug for any sign of burnt or

damaged electrical pins.

disconnect, clean and reinstall cables on the battery

Sometimes, and increasing in frequency, when I try to start my 06 RSv it sounds like my Battery is dead. It trys to turn over and can't,try again same ,after a few try's it starts to turn over,buy sounds slow, but it eventually it starts. At my last fuel stop I checked the battery before I tried to start it, 12.6 volts, but I had to hit the starter button 4 or 5 times. I had the napa store check my battery last week, they said it was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

George

First, see my comments in this thread (post #11) - it all applies to you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70299&highlight=battery

Second, you do not specify exactly how you checked the voltage at the fuel stop (it should have been from the lead terminals directly on the battery). BUT, your reading of 12.6V indicates a definite problem. The battery in this bike is not fully charged unless it is showing 12.9 volts AFTER sitting for several hours. If you check it shortly after it has been run, the battery must be showing around 13.2V if it is fully charged.

If all wires, connection, and battery are good, a battery with voltage even down to 12.3 volts will still spin the engine just fine, so the fact that you were showing 12.6 and had slow start not only shows that your battery was not getting fully charged, but there is an additional problem. It could be the battery is bad and just cannot provide the needed current, and it could be any of the other issues I mention in the other thread.

Finally, the fact that you can get it to start better after hitting the starter button several times strongly suggests you have a wire connection issue. The sudden surge of current each time you hit the button is trying to break through the bad contact and eventually gives you a fair and temporary connection that lets you get it started.

Goose

I removed the battery cables, they looked fine, but I sanded them until they shined. I put it back together and it started about six times, I hope that was it. Tomorrow I will take a ride and chek the batt when I get back.

Thanks

George