IGNORED

V-Max Final Drive Question

star4772

Joe, I don't know what the final drive ratio would be but it would be like putting a lower geared rear end in your truck. You get a little more pulling power. Your rpms at cruising speed will be roughly 500 higher. At least that's what I think I've read on here. Might be great if you're pulling a lot of weight like a trailer.

The difference is 10%.

The advantage is you will have more pull in the lower gears and you can also use 4th and especially 5th gear more effectively. If you are now running 3,000 rpm's in 5th gear to maintain 60 mph, the rpm would go up to 3,300 rpm's for 60. On an RSV and especially an RSTD, that would make 5th much more usable and it would probably improve gas mileage. Another thing it may do is reduce the amount of gear whine by riding more in 5th than 4th. I know my 1st gen is quieter in 5th than 4th.

RandyA

Lower final drive ratio. Higher RPM's. Easier take off. Easier to pull a trailer. Easier to haul a passenger.

Not a direct bolt on. You can either buy one that has been redone. You can buy one and drill the hole for the speed sensor yourself and hope you do not ruin the case.

Lower final drive ratio. Higher RPM's. Easier take off. Easier to pull a trailer. Easier to haul a passenger.

Not a direct bolt on. You can either buy one that has been redone. You can buy one and drill the hole for the speed sensor yourself and hope you do not ruin the case.

Is that all that needs to be done is the hole for speed sensor? That don't seem to hard. :whistling:

Joe :confused24:

The hole needs to be precise, without getting any shavings into the gears. There is a few on here who have done, but they had access to machining equipment.

Ah ok well maybe I will just nitch the idea unless I can find one all ready done up.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Joe

If you go to the tech section Freebird posted a complete instruction on changing the pumpkin. It includes a link to purchase the unit all set up and ready to install. If you check out the link I posted above there is also a reference on purchasing the unit ready to install. It is really not all that complicated just check out the links that have been provided to you.

Mike