IGNORED

1st gen carbs

bike nut

I have an 83 Venture Royale.I am having trouble with a lack of power once I reach 60 miles per hour.I took the carbs off and went through them.I have used sea foam to clean them.My question is how do you bench sync the carbs?I want to do that before I put them back on and sync the carbs.The bike sat for the winter and I am having problems for the first time.They have been acting up since I had to pull them to change the valve cover gaskets.Any advice would be great.Thanks.

Are you sure you are running on all four cylinders? Start it up cold and let it run a minute and check the pipes and see if all are warm.

You may also have stopped up pilot jets, but that usually affects low to midrange running the most. When you went thru the carbs, did you remove the block with the rubber plugs in the bottom and check those jets?

You can get the carbs close enough to run by looking at how much gap you have on the throttle plates and making them similar.

RandyA

Are you sure you are running on all four cylinders? Start it up cold and let it run a minute and check the pipes and see if all are warm.

You may also have stopped up pilot jets, but that usually affects low to midrange running the most. When you went thru the carbs, did you remove the block with the rubber plugs in the bottom and check those jets?

You can get the carbs close enough to run by looking at how much gap you have on the throttle plates and making them similar.

RandyA

When I rebuilt the carbs two years ago i went all through them.I didnt have a problem till now.I noticed when I drained the carbs this time to work on them there was no gas comming out of the no2 carb.I took the float covers off and cleaned the inside.They were pretty dirty.I hope that will fix them.When I am going down the highway one carb is temporarilly starved.When it gets enough gas the bike takes off like a rocket.

When I am going down the highway one carb is temporarilly starved.When it gets enough gas the bike takes off like a rocket.

There is an individual filter screen in each carb. Located just ahead of the float level valve.

To bench sync, try shining a bright light from under the carbs. Look down in the throat of the carbs and you will see a sliver of light where each butterfly is open. Set #2 to with the idle screw to where the light just disappears. Then do #1 with screw on throttle linkage, then over to #3 & #4, not sure which one is 1st, but by trial & error you can get them real close this way.

Gary