Hi all,

New to this site, not new to riding, or old bikes, or turning wrenches. Currently I have a 76 KZ900, 85 V65 and the couch, which is what I call my 86 Venture. I'm not satisfied with the way she's running. I sync'ed the carbs last nite with good results however she seems to idle rich (smell gas in exhaust). I've been through many carbs over the years, both motorcycle and car but I'll admit, the CV carbs are a different breed. My question; are there mixture adjustment screws on these and if so, where the heck are they?

Hi all,

New to this site, not new to riding, or old bikes, or turning wrenches. Currently I have a 76 KZ900, 85 V65 and the couch, which is what I call my 86 Venture. I'm not satisfied with the way she's running. I sync'ed the carbs last nite with good results however she seems to idle rich (smell gas in exhaust). I've been through many carbs over the years, both motorcycle and car but I'll admit, the CV carbs are a different breed. My question; are there mixture adjustment screws on these and if so, where the heck are they?

There are :)

They are directly below the diaphragm covers, right on the center line and may be hidden behind an anti-tamper bung.

You need to remove the fairing lowers to get at two of them

Regarding removal of the lower faring; (grin) there ain't a piece of plastic left on her from the saddle bags forward. I've also replaced all motor cover gaskets trying to rid myself of the leak which drips directly onto the exhaust and smokes! Found the front rocker cover leaking forward (couldn't see it without removing everything, including the radiator). I'm hoping it's not the inner clutch seal.

I check mileage every time I fill up and I'm always over 40 mpg. I always use 93 octane. From what I've read, it sounds like I'm in the ball park so I don't think I have any major issues. My personality is such that I'm not satisfied unless it's running to what I feel it's potential is/or should be. I appreciate all the help.

I check mileage every time I fill up and I'm always over 40 mpg. I always use 93 octane.

Switch to 87 octane (ethanol free if you can find it in your area*) and you'll save yourself some $ that will re-invest in more go juice.

*Looks like both Bloomington and Bloomfield have eth free. If anything there's slightly less energy contained in premium, and at best you're dropping extra coin for no real gain. .... unless your motor is knockin for some reason and that's why you jumped octane in the 1st place.

Edited by Keemez

I just want to say thanks to all for the help, and thanks to VR where I found a service manual to down load!! Last nite I drilled out the anti-tamper brass plugs covering the idle mixture screws. From the factory they ranged from 1.5 to 3.5 turns. I turned them all to 2.5, put my vacuum gages back on to insure carbs were still sync'd (needed only very slight adjustment). I've owned the bike for 7 years and she is just now running like she should. Can't wait to get her back on the road for a test drive. Hope I can return the favor in the future! CM