IGNORED

Just a thought.......

ToyOdie

OK all you super mechanics. I found a 1996 RSTD for $2500 on craigslist. It looks real nice in the pictures and only has 24,000 miles. Here's the bad news. He says it needs 4th and 5th gear replaced and the carbs tuned. The carbs are not a problem for me. Is there any known issues that would cause 4th and 5th not to work (linkage?, shift fork?), and how hard is it (whats involved) to do the repair myself. Would I have to remove the engine or can I do the repair on the bike? The bike has a lot of safety chrome I could swap over to my bike and maybe sell this one for a little profit if I can do the work. Let me know what you think.:fingers-crossed-emo

OK all you super mechanics. I found a 1996 RSTD for $2500 on craigslist. It looks real nice in the pictures and only has 24,000 miles. Here's the bad news. He says it needs 4th and 5th gear replaced and the carbs tuned. The carbs are not a problem for me. Is there any known issues that would cause 4th and 5th not to work (linkage?, shift fork?), and how hard is it (whats involved) to do the repair myself. Would I have to remove the engine or can I do the repair on the bike? The bike has a lot of safety chrome I could swap over to my bike and maybe sell this one for a little profit if I can do the work. Let me know what you think.

4th and 5th pins behind the clutch basket have probably fallen out. Not a difficult repair.

Here's a link to the problem. The tech write up is for a 1stGen but should apply to your RSTD as well. Also I believe that a 'new improved' segment off a RSV will be an upgrade...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40713

I would have thought that the 2nd gen bikes would have all had the newer shift mechinism that did not have the pins, but the parts diagram for this bike does show the pins. As noted, this is not a difficult fix if that is the problem and most likely it is.

One thing you could do is contact the yamaha shop and get a quote and share it with the guy selling the bike and he may even be more motivated to get rid of it.

RandyA

One thing you could do is contact the yamaha shop and get a quote and share it with the guy selling the bike and he may even be more motivated to get rid of it.

RandyA

Heck no... Go for the juggler. :) Tell him the tranny is toast, and the engine will have to be R&R'd to do the repair..... Now that's a bargaining chip.... :whistling: :big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks guys.:thumbsup2: The link to Pegscrapers thread was great. I haven't been into the clutch yet, but I'm pretty good with the wrenches and I always have the experts on this site if I run into any problems.

Now all I have to do is get this past my banker. But, the possibility of making a little extra cash for my effort should win her over.

I like the idea of getting an estimate for the repair and getting the price down might help too. I might go for the Jugular and see what happens. Even if I only get it down to $2000 I can't go wrong. That is, if that's the only problem with the bike.

BTW: I plan on trailering the bike home if I buy it. Is there any posibility of damage by starting it and/or riding it a short way to see if there are any other issues?:think:

I'll let you know what the verdict is.:fingers-crossed-emo