I honestly don't think that you will find anything else that will give you as much bang for your buck as teh VMAX rear did. On my '99 RSV, I've installed the VMAX rear and also use K&N filters and the Dyna3000 ignition module. I've also experimented with several different mufflers over the years but I feel that they just made the bike louder and did little, if anything, for performance. I also feel that the K&N filters did very little for performance but I like them because I can just clean and reuse them.

Now as for the Dyna30000. I really think that it does very little and I have seen Dyno charts that compare the stock ignition module to the Dyna3000 and those charts confirmed what I thought. The one thing that the Dyno does though is that it allows you to raise the RPM where the rev limiter kicks in. In stock configuration, I believe it kicks in at 6500 RPM. I have mine set on 7500 with the Dyna ignition. If I remember correctly, they recommend that you set it no higher than 7250 unless you change to the heavier VMAX valve springs. I have not installed the VMAX springs on my '99 and probably never will.

Now the truth is that I very rarely rode in such a manner that I hit the rev limiter even at the stock 6500 RPM. There have been a few times when I was "playing" though and did hit it. It always surprised me because it just seemed that the engine was still pulling so well and that the rev limited came in way too soon. Now that I have it set at 7500, it seems must better suited for this engine. For the ability to raise the rev limiter, I recommend the Dyna3000 if you like to get on it pretty hard from time to time. For normal everyday riding though, I think it is a waste of money.

Rich,

I went back and read several of your posts before you bought the Vmax rear end.

You were comfortable with 50 mph in 5th gear, where most were not. You also had a rear whine you wanted to loose.

So, now that you swapped the Royal rear end for Vmax, what do you have at 4th and 5th?

Same question for Freebird (VGoose too).

I'm interested in the Vmax rear end idea but I do enjoy pushing the gears the way a Royal can. But of course the Royals are not geared for the Dragon. I rarely go to 5th on two lane. Don, you have had the mod for years. What are your gearing habits?

I have a RSTD for solo/commute and a RSV for two up and trips.

Which bike would benefit most with the Vmax rear if I did one?

And Rich, did you get rid of the rear whine?

Thanks, Mike G

Well, I am happy with the change for local and long distance riding. When we take a trip...which seems to not happen much lately...we always pull a fairly heavily loaded trailer and I think the bike just does much better with the VMAX rear. On the other hand, many hear say that they are perfectly happy with the stock rear even when towing a trailer.

The biggest complaint I hear is from people who feel that the RPMs are too high after the change. It does take a little getting used to because by the sound, you will feel that you need to shift again and you are already in 5th. The fact is though, even with the VMAX rear, you are running about 500 RPM LESS in 5th than a first gen Venture does. In stock form, the RSV lopes along at about 1000 RPM less in 5th than a first gen Venture. After the change, That is cut to about 500 RPM. For me, it's a perfect compromise.

It would be hard for me to advice which bike to do it on. For the local commuting, you will certainly feel the extra pep in the lower gears. If you are happy with the performance of your RSV on the road, then the RSTD would probably be the one to change. In most cases though,, I also prefer the lower rear when on the road also.

Mike G, the only thing I would add to Freebird's reply is about the clutch whine. The slightly higher rpms puts me out of the "whine zone" more naturally, or at least I think so. I don't have a tachometer, but my clutch whine is worst when just chugging around town. I got by it before by running in a lower gear, first or maybe second, while around town. This worked just fine and my whine was never really bad anyway, just annoying. From a performance standpoint, I don't really have a desire (other than just doing it once or twice for kicks) to run on the interstate at greater than 80 mph anyway, so having the thrill of accelleration at lower speeds is well worth it. I'm not really a first gear burn out kind of guy, but a thrilling second, third, fourth up to about 65 mph makes my old (I'm 55) blood rush a bit. Also, even with the wife on the back, no more slipping the clutch to get it rolling. Hope this is helpful. P.S. Mine has a slight chirp (Jetson's car sound) at low speed too, but I just sing "Here's George Jetson, his boy Elroy..." as I hear it and it makes me laugh. Call it a product feature!

Interesting post on my recent trip I played around with my gear selections and what I noticed is that at the higher rpms the engine seemed smoother and quieter but mpg suffered. Running interstate at 80mph /5th gear around 39 to 41 mpg. Ran 55mph /4th gear mpg went up to 47mpg. Anything over 60 to 65 without going to 5th gear mileage seemed to drop anywhere from 36 to 38 and I know there a lot of other factors. What affect does the vmax rearend have on mpg and does it allow you to get into 5th sooner. Also have plans for a trailer next year is there any comparison on mpg pulling a trailer stock versus Vmax gears