I need you expertise! Could someone please direct me to a schematic that explains the workings of the first generation carbs. An exploded diagram for these particular models with an explanation would be helpful. I was hoping to find a thread with photos of a carb overhaul. I would like to understand a little bit more about what is going on. There are a lot of small holes and orifices that seem to serve similar roles.

My current problem is as follows. I removed and cleaned the carbs and have cured my rough acceleration problem. Now, any adjustment to the pilot screw on just one carb makes no difference. Closing the pilot screw all the way on the other carbs causes the engine to stumble while any adjustment on this one carb makes no difference - the engine runs regardless of setting.

I guess where I am a bit unsure is the role played by the other small orifices and their routing

Thank you.

Edited by thirdbike
addition

That was fast. Thank you. I don't want to appear ungrateful but to make it even more clearer I would like to see a couple of labelled photos of the actual carb. A complete series of photos showing a tear-down would be the Cadillac solution. The diagram and the articles are a bit superficial.

Thank you again.

I have a zip file that has a series of 35 pictures of a set of carbs being tore down. May not have every last detail.

7 meg.

PM me an email address.

Also watch this seller on ebay, luci0903 , he has an excellent DVD that shows a complete tear down & rebuild of a set of VMax carbs. Usually runs around $15. Didn't see any listed right now.

Gary

The pictures are very much appreciated! Too bad it is not earlier in the season or I would put a complete step by step "carb manual" with photos labels and instructions together. This would make a great addition to the archives

Thanks once again Dingy

Make sure you have a washer and an o-ring on each pilot screw. I was missing two. Replaced them and it has made a world of difference. I need to get two more sets cause the other two o-rings look like super flat washers instead of o-rings.

Here is something else I did when I stripped the carbs down.

This is each O-ring that came out of the carb. I taped them to a piece of card board and noted location.

The bottom one is from the fuel bowl side of carb, actually covers the main jet.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/carborings.jpg