IGNORED

Got A Front End Question

My driveway has a slight curb on it and is slightly uphill going into the drive. I've noticed that when I pull into my driveway and come up the slight curb, the front end feels like it is wobbling. So, when I got into the garage I planted both feet on the floor and shook the front end and it "wobbled." Never noticed this before. It rides and handles good. is this normal?

Glenn

Sounds like your neck bearings need a little tightening. Best way to test is to raise the bike up on a jack high enough to get the wheels off the ground. With the bars centered lightly tap the bar grip to the left. The bar should glide smoothly and rest on the stop. If it goes without any resistance and bounces off the stop you need an adjustment.

To check steering head bearings, get the bike securely supported with the front wheel of the ground. Grab the front forks at the bottom near the axle and pull in out (front to back) and check /feel for movement at the neck bearings. Helps to have a second person just because the bike is heavy and difficult to impart force at the base of the fork and have a look at the same time. If you can feel movement they are definitely loose.

They could be on the loose side with little or no visible movement. I think these bikes have a rubber washer in the neck bearing adjustment hardware. I think some people remove and replace that with a metal washer. Doing that you have to be more precise with the bearing adjustment in my opinion to prevent overtightening. There is a tech article here on adjusting the steering head (neck) bearings. The interval per Yamaha is to check every 16000 miles.

RSTDdog