IGNORED

Riding In The Heat

uechi kid

My 2 cents are similar to the others. I have trained in MMA for quite some time. A good friend, Erik Paulson, who teaches globally taught his students to mix 50/50 water with pedialyte for electrolytes without the increased sugar. I have found after training a few hours hardcore, they have helped with any dehydration, cramping etc. I agree with apples and peanuts but would also add bananas for the needed potassium. Living in Florida, the humidity is a killer and I also carry on trips a water cooler, usually all ice and frozen water bottles. Another technique is I place 2 water bottles, frozen in each front jacket pocket. My bandana and shirt get rinsed and soaked again upon fueling at local station.

One of the keys which everyone notices is to drink plenty BEFORE and cover up. Diabetics should check blood sugar prior to a long ride and have stuff readily available.

I always have a full face, jacket and boots. Just added air glide 3 pants. I may be a bit hot, but I will still have my skin. :scorched:

Main thing is to use common sense. That, or just copy what we all just said.:big-grin-emoticon:

An old thread, but what's better to talk about in the winter to warm the bod up... ?? :) From personal experience using plain water and using Gator Ade... In '07 after the National in Ft. Collins I rode up into Idaho to visit the 'kids'. When I left the next morning I did 10 hrs in 105degs drinking Disantes at fuel stops. When I got back to the barn in Sacramento I felt pretty good, but it took me 3 days to stop peeing orange. In '11 when riding to and from Cody Wy we drank Gator's at every rest stop and fuel stop, and never experienced dehydration. Temps weren't quite as high as '07, but it was still pushing 100degs. I might also add the besides the change in fluids I also wore different jackets. The first trip I wore a mesh jacket, and the second I wore a solid textile with vents that provided good circulation, but not anywhere near the air movement of the mesh which did add to the 'wicking'. The end result was I'll continue to go with the Gatorade and wear the textile. :2cents: