IGNORED

Dirty/Greasy Final drive

I've cleaned the outside of the location where the drive shaft housing and the final drive are bolted together several times. It gets a good dirty/greasy film on the outside. No drips and no apparent seapage from there at all so am wondering where that might be coming from? Any suggestions?

Not sure why your having this "oozing" of grease in area described, but then again, I don't know if you or someone else may have at one time repacked the differential gears and or hub pins with some type of grease either.

Do you have any clue as to what type of grease was applied to the gears if you or someone else did clean and repack them??

The grease used just may be breaking down and running / oozing out..and may not be the correct type of grease.

Another issue could be that maybe it was OVER packed with grease, and if so you could have the same issue even if it "is" the correct type of grease.

You should have no seepage, oozing or leakage of grease "EXCEPT" for when you take it apart and repack the rear hub fingers. After doing so, some grease may (by centrifugal force) may come out of the holes in the rim itself if to much was applied to the hub pins/ fingers but this will happen maybe twice then it quits.

:think:

You might have a damaged O-ring seal at the front of the differential housing. I had one happen to me once and I would describe it just the way you did. No obvious drips, but it would get a heavy oily dirty film all over it. I found a nick in the seal. I replaced that and it ended. You'll have to take the nut off and maybe a couple other parts out of the front end of the differential housing to get to the seal.

(Quote) where the drive shaft housing and the final drive are bolted together several times.

Yep, after re-reading your post, I agree it is the seal.

Don't know why, but I was thinking you meant between the axle housing and the rear wheel hub meet up, and there was grease/ oily film on that rubber dust seal that is on the rear hub side.

Look underneath the axle housing and you should be able to see a little drain hole about 3 to 4 inches forward from the acorn nuts. See if it has been dripping or oozing grease.. If so, it has to be that seal under the acorn nuts.