IGNORED

Tachometer & the COLD (BRrrrrr)

I have an '83 std Venture.

When it's mid-30ish degrees or below, the tach is very sluggish and won't read above 3K rpm's. This concerns me because I currently commute an hour each way to work in mid to low 20 degrees.:cold:

I found one other thread about this, but didn't see any conclusive fix.:scratchchin:

Is the tach mechanical, drive via cable from the drive train, or electronic, driven from the computer board in the dash?:confused07:

Does anyone have a good fix?

Thank you!!

Doug

When it's mid-30ish degrees or below, the tach is very sluggish and won't read above 3K rpm's. This concerns me because I currently commute an hour each way to work in mid to low 20 degrees.:cold:

I found one other thread about this, but didn't see any conclusive fix.:scratchchin:

Is the tach mechanical, drive via cable from the drive train, or electronic, driven from the computer board in the dash?:confused07:

Thank you!!

Doug

The Tach is electronic. Put an heating pad on it overnight. . Ya gotta remember it's been doing it job for over 25 years. It's a wonder it even works at 20 degs...heck I know I wouldn't.... :)

Thank you!!

Doug

My 83 does that when it gets down to the mid 50s and below. After awhile it loosens up and works correctly. I believe it probably needs some very light weight sewing machine oil on the bearing in the tachs head. I just never think of it when I have the dash apart for other reasons.

Dick

My XJ1100 is like that.......for the first 10 miles or so it's sluggish and refuses to go beyond about 3k....after riding for 10-15 miles it loosens up and works just fine. Once I head home after it's been sitting in the warmth of the sun it works just fine.

My XJ1100 does exactly the same thing. On those cold mornings it's extremely sluggish and won't go above 3k. Quite often after I've riden for 10-12 miles she loosens up. When I head home, after it's sat in the sun all day and temps have increased a bit there's no problem.

I never did persue it, I just accepted it.

My 83 does that when it gets down to the mid 50s and below. After awhile it loosens up and works correctly. I believe it probably needs some very light weight sewing machine oil on the bearing in the tachs head. I just never think of it when I have the dash apart for other reasons.

Dick

This should fix the needle movement. Light oil and a little cleaning should work for another 25 years.

RandyA

The Tach is electronic. Put an heating pad on it overnight. . Ya gotta remember it's been doing it job for over 25 years. It's a wonder it even works at 20 degs...heck I know I wouldn't.... :)

Sorry Jack, but you don't work at any temp........ How long, is your project list, now????????

,:sign back to topic: