IGNORED

need suggestions

autopilot

If I asked this before on here, I guess I'm losing more than my hearing. I know I wanted to ask before. I did at least search my prior posts and found no entry for this so, here we go:

I have a black Pace-Legacy lo-boy style enclosed motorcycle trailer. It's only about 3 years old but sitting outside down here in the sun & heat, the finish has developed that slightly cloudy, faded sort of look. That loss of a clean, deep black finish. It's not at all severe, but it is noticable. I've tried any number of different things to try to bring the depth of color back and failed. I'm almost positive that it's baked enamel and I'm frankly at a loss as to what to use. :think:

So, if any of you have any experience with this issue, I sure would like to hear your solution. I coming up blank. I've hesitated on removing the Harley-Davidson decal on the back door until I can come with a satisfactory fix for the finish, because I know there's going to be a difference in shade when the decal comes off and I want to be able to minimize it. Anyway, any help will be welcome.

If I can't do anything with the finish (or maybe even if I can), I might just sell the darn thing. I haven't used it but a couple of times and the original reason I got it went away when my son got rid of his bike. That'll be a topic for another thread if I go that way with it.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Rubbing compound with an electric buffer will make it shine again. Just dont hold the buffer in one place too long { you will take the paint off }. Then apply a coat of good wax. It should shine like new....

Question for you - Have you ever waxed or applied any type of treatment to the trailer?

+1 to DaveCB's comment provided that the trailer was painted base/clear.

If you are to go out and buy a buffer a reasonable type to pick up (if you have not done much of this type of work) would be a random orbiting buffer. This helps prevent burning through the clear by leaving the buffer in one place too long.

If it is just baked enamel with no type of clear on it then you've got yourself a different problem. Some rubbing compound and a nice coat of polish MIGHT work, but it is much more difficult if you do not have a clear coat to work with. Typically what one does with the rubbing compound and a buffer is essentially move around some of the existing clear coat, and in effect, cleaning it up the appearance by smoothing it out; then the applied polish adds more protection over the coat that was 'scratched up' by the rubbing compound providing more protection from scratching and fading by being an additional barrier to help protect the existing finish.

Not the entire trailer. Just a couple of very small test spots. I'm 99% sure that this is baked enamel. I've got a couple of good buffers (d/a type). I've used compound to good effect on non-clearcoat finishes before. It's a tiresome process, using the various grades to cut, polish and then use sealers and waxes, but when I'm done the results have been phenomenal. I did it on a '55 Ford Fairlane 2 door hardtop and again later on an '81 Corvette (and no the Vette was not clearcoated for whatever reason......funny, it was black too! I will say that when I finished it, it looked almost like it had been clearcoated. Not even the hint of a spiderweb scratch; thing looked like a big black mirror. should have kept that car) Anyway... none of those were baked enamel

Part of the reason I posted the query is that I've run into this before on baked enamel on I believe it was an old style camper shell. I never could get that thing to look the way I wanted it to.

Steve,

Used to own one of those too, part of the problem is oxidation run off from the roof. I hate black trailers, you see everything!! Are the decals still flush or are they starting to peel on the edges (especially on the south west side). If you decide to sell it I doubt the time investment will give you that much more value, and if you keep it you're likely going to have to live with faded black. Good luck with it!!