IGNORED

Car tire on Voyager Trike?

DONATALIE

Anybody out there using a car tire on an RSV with a Voyager trike kit on it? I spoke to my local Voyager dealer today, and he suggested that it might make the Voyager ride too hard, and/or bounce too much? Anyone heard of this being a problem? I have an 11 year old son who is wheel chair bound, but he LOVES to ride the RSV. However, he has gotten too big (5'10" tall and 190 lbs!), as have I, (240 lbs) for the recommended max weight, according to Yamaha. I ordered my Voyager trike kit today, and thought it might be a good time to switch to the car tire to get the extra mileage, since lean will no longer be an issue. But the MTC dealer strongly recommended against it. Any and all comments would be welcome. Thanks. Don from PA

Edited by DONATALIE

I cannot speak as to how a c/t will affect the ride, but I can say that the first rear tire on my Burgman, with the Voyager kit, wore flat on the bottom like a c/t. There was plenty of tread left on the sides. Also, the Voyager kit IS a little stiff solo, but a lot smoother 2 up.

One word of caution is that some insurance companies, like the little green lizard, will not insure a bike with a Voyager kit. Voyager can tell you who will. Not promoting them, but I had insurance on the Burgman with a company called AnPac. Another one if I remember correctly is Dairyland Insurance.

• 4 years later...
Anybody out there using a car tire on an RSV with a Voyager trike kit on it? I spoke to my local Voyager dealer today, and he suggested that it might make the Voyager ride too hard, and/or bounce too much? Anyone heard of this being a problem? I have an 11 year old son who is wheel chair bound, but he LOVES to ride the RSV. However, he has gotten too big (5'10" tall and 190 lbs!), as have I, (240 lbs) for the recommended max weight, according to Yamaha. I ordered my Voyager trike kit today, and thought it might be a good time to switch to the car tire to get the extra mileage, since lean will no longer be an issue. But the MTC dealer strongly recommended against it. Any and all comments would be welcome. Thanks. Don from PA

I put 55,000 on a kit that had a car tire. It is a lot safer, and the amount of rubber that meets the road is doubled. I have locked up the rear brakes and never had the rear end swing side ways. It is hard to beat three car tires on the rear of your bike. One thing that is for sure, it will work your arms out because of the lack of rake to the front wheel. Dragon Tail was not for me. I will kit my RSV next year, and I will run a car tire on the rear. DARKSIDE