IGNORED

ATF oil weight?

louiepolly

Can someone tell me the oil weight of automatic transmission fluid. I'd like to find something in the 10 wt. to put in my forks and try it out. I just got done putting 20 wt. in them a couple of weeks ago and they seem too harsh still. At 8.00 a pint for fork oil, I thought I would try the ATF and if it works to soften things up I'll go with the good stuff. If it doesn't I might have to go all the way down to a 5W oil. Louie

Can someone tell me the oil weight of automatic transmission fluid. I'd like to find something in the 10 wt. to put in my forks and try it out. I just got done putting 20 wt. in them a couple of weeks ago and they seem too harsh still. At 8.00 a pint for fork oil, I thought I would try the ATF and if it works to soften things up I'll go with the good stuff. If it doesn't I might have to go all the way down to a 5W oil. Louie
transmission fluid is about 10 w. i used it for years in my forks and it worked fine. i now use belray 10w because it contains an anti friction additive ( probably molydenum disulfide) that stops stickion or slider drag. it also also contains seal softener and will make the fork bushings last longer. bill. ps. it will probably make the ride a little smoother due to less slider drag. it could cause your clutch to slip :rotf:

ATF and power steering is 10W and so is most hydraulic oil. I prefer Dexron II or III the additives package is very good.

i use atf--marval mystary 50/50,need to change now have over 60,000 mls sence i did that,this is what it looked like after i mod it,still no leaks