IGNORED

Engine Whine

Just got my 2nd gen. Venture (2000 MM edition) and am disappointed in the engine whine at 60-65 mph. Please tell me there's a cure. I have a '97 Royal Star and I don't think that made such a whine.

Marcy, i forgot to mention, it isn't an ENGINE whine.

it is the "square cut " gears in the transmission.

some have had acceptable results , by changing out the clutch basket, to the "I" model basket.

nothing , it seems, completely gets rid of the WHINE.

the I basket just changes the noise to a higher r.p.m. range at which it is "least annoying".

just jt

Would changing the gears fix the whine?

Changing to helical cut gears would help, but it would increase the side thrust in the gear box, which would decrease your fuel economy and would wear them out sooner.

I have not seen a gear change kit on the market for these bikes.......

Hello,

Please check out:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27476

for a survey, long discussion, rider experiences and interactions with dealers & Yamaha.

As has been mentioned it's due to straight cut gears and the tolerances used in the transmission (which makes all RS "different").

Changing the primary gear and/or installing an "I" basket may change the location of the whine in the RPM scale but Yamaha/dealers do not expect to completely remove it. If you speak to dealer techs or Yamaha they will explain this is part of the character of the bike (one that Harley removed in 2006 with helically cut gears in all models).

If your RS is still under warranty you can request all of this work at Yamaha's expense to get the whine to move/decrease.

If your dealer tells you they know nothing take a look at the other thread and mention Tech Note M2002013 (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration).

Most common fix: Change "I" basket, install louder pipes... live with the whine.

Regards,

gp

• 5 years later...

MAIN DRIVE GEAR SITS DRYYYYYY all the time on the side stand HMMMMMMMMM

I Now stand the bike up when home it coats the gears in a bath of oil which flows passively into the clutch chamber=a combo of lucAs OIL 20/50 AND MOTOR kote also lucas oil additive helps with the noise too best yet tried it for a week now well see if its accumulative:cool10:

I TRIED it leaned over on side stand again for two days and WHIiiine was back there isn't enough oil on that gear while driving BUT if it is soaked it sticks which is lucas oil specialty so stand er up pour in your engine kote let it sit for day and 25% quieter try er out boys good luck THERE is in fact a center stand available from Rivco:080402gudl_prv:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=202&page=1

:stirthepot: now for windshield pouches to tone down reflective noise HAS any body tried that?????:080402gudl_prv: