IGNORED

Fuel Pump

I just ordered the 40171 from the aircraft place. From what I have read it is the only one with the shut off that is needed so you don't have to turn your petcock off every time you stop. Hoping it will work. Have two stock ones to fail already in 80K the first one replaced under warrenty.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis
two stock ones to fail already in 80K the first one replaced under warrenty.

It's probably the ethanol thats doing it. Try using a fuel treatment such as Seafoam or Startron.

Make sure the pump you choose has a positive shut off built in with the key off. If not and you have a full tank gasoline you have the potential of fuel seeping past the carburetors and into a cylinder. A liquid is not compressible and you will get a hydraulic lock. Don't ask how I know! ::sign **** happens:

I got the new pump installed. About 50 for the pump and around 20 for the several brass fittings I used to make it work in the same location and with the original hoses. All it takes is a slight bend in each of the mounting brackets and it bolts up to one of the two original holes. I purchased two 1/8" npt to 5/16" hose connectors, a hose to hose union, a 1/8" street 90, a 1/8" close nipple, a 1/8" npt 90 and a short piece of 5/16 hose and two hose clamps. Only two wires to splice into with what ever connection you choose. Very easy and I'm hopeing this one last longer than the last two OEM pumps. Word of warning; this new pump does not make the noise the original one does so at first you might think it is not working as I did. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php

this new pump does not make the noise the original one does so at first you might think it is not working as I did. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php

I was thinking about going this direction in the future, but that click-a-d-click was sort of reassuring that the thing was working. I'd hate like hell to think it was working and have the bike die on me and trying to diagnose a fuel pump problem without having to get into the side cover....

• 1 month later...