IGNORED

Cheap plastic repair

Ivan

I saw on another site that plastic can be repaired with inexpensive PVC glue. While I haven't tried it yet, it makes sense. IIRC Lowes has glue for ABS drain pipe, which may even be better.

Any one ever try this route?

I saw on another site that plastic can be repaired with inexpensive PVC glue. While I haven't tried it yet, it makes sense. IIRC Lowes has glue for ABS drain pipe, which may even be better.

Any one ever try this route?

I successfully repaired broken tabs on lowers using regular ABS solvent, the yellow type used to glue ABS plumbing pipes.

I just repaired a major crack on the back underside of the trunk on my '86 VR. I used an ABS Epoxy to seal the crack, reinforced it with bolts and large washers in the only spot available and then used JB weld over all. Seems to be holding well on a few hundred miles so far.

I've used epoxy and it's pretty good for Venture plastic repair. The best way I've found is to rough up the plastic and clean it with alcohol to remove any traces of grease or oil. Then put a thin layer of regular epoxy over the defect. This bonds well, but lacks the strength needed to survive. After it cures, I like to add a thick layer of the epoxy that comes in a roll and the hardener is in the center. You cut off what you need and then knead the epoxy and after it's mixed you apply it over the ordinary epoxy. This adds the strength needed to stay together.

The plastic on a first gen Venture is ABS. I've used ABS glue and had fair results. However the absolute best way I've found it to use PLASTEX. It works as well as this video shows.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9209022121022498415#

Frank

Can you tell what the powder is in the Plastex kit? I have never used the stuff.

So far I have tried the nasty smelling plastic epoxy stuff and some testors liquid. the epoxy was less than desirable, it didn't stick well. The testors works great if you can hold the parts from moving for three or four hours.

As luck would have it, I have almost everything I can glued back together. I have a tab broke of a lower fairing, but that's about all that's left.

I just repaired a major crack on the back underside of the trunk on my '86 VR. I used an ABS Epoxy to seal the crack, reinforced it with bolts and large washers in the only spot available and then used JB weld over all. Seems to be holding well on a few hundred miles so far.

My trunk lid was badly cracked betwean and above the the hinges which I understand is a common problem with 1st gens (mine is an 88VR). I repaired the cracks and filled in a missing area of abs (about a square inch) with Plastex. That was 10,000km ago and the repair is still solid. I have never seen anything that works as well as Plastex and I agree with another response that it works as well as shown in the Plastex video.

However the absolute best way I've found it to use PLASTEX. It works as well as this video shows.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9209022121022498415#

Frank

I TOTALLY agree. This is what I use. It comes in several different colors now. I'll never use anything else on my bike. I use it on many different things. Here is a link to the website. Which reminds me... I need to order some more. http://plastex.home.att.net/

After a small mishap I needed to make numerous repairs to my 83.

I used the 2 part epoxy for plastic found at Walmart and as backing material (here is the funny part) those good old, stup your toe on em yellow tent stakes.

The stakes are made of abs and very durable if you have the room to leave the "T" shape intact. They cut easy and can even be heated with a heat gun and formed slightly.

Ask RandyA, he tell you all about my repairs to the bike now known as "Tent Peg"

Happy gluing,

Steve

I have been restoring my fairings and I have used ABS glue.

It appears to work well when you can get it in the cracks and truly glue the two pcs back together. I think using some fiberglass cloth with ABS glue would probably work better if you cant' get in the cracks.