IGNORED

Fishtails or Sharkfins?????

venturegeorge

I don't have the part number but there is a Harley fishtail tip that will work on the bubs. I have seen posts from others that have used these but it may be on one of the other Venture forums. I've been looking to find the info on it but haven't been able to come up with it. If you find anything let us know.

Guest muskrat

Got Samson fishtails on my RSV - I think it looks pretty good. Don't have any pics just now - but can send on to you later if you want. Put them on about 3-4 years ago.

Got Samson fishtails on my RSV - I think it looks pretty good. Don't have any pics just now - but can send on to you later if you want. Put them on about 3-4 years ago.

That would be great. I would like to see some pictures. The Harley tips will fit with some effort. The slash cuts I have are from Harley.

Guest muskrat

Not sure, bubman. I have never heard the bubs on a Venture - had some experience with bub on a previous bike. I like the sound - the V4 cadence is a unique sound and I think enhanced with just about any slip on that opens up the exhaust. I had some Vance and Hines on a Kawasaki Nomad I had several years ago - and those were much louder. My wife thinks these are too loud - but when you pull up next to a Harley of other after market pipes - and the Samson's are mellower. I know I didn't answer your question all I can say is I think the sound is just right.

Here are some pics of the Samson fishtails slip-ons on my Venture - had them on since about 2002

Thanks for the pics muskrat. They look good. I'm not too concerned about the sound. The bubs have a nice rumble but are real loud when you get on the throtle. I think the fins will quite them a bit. Have not made my mind up yet, but I will post some pics when I decide and install new tips. Thanks

What pipes are you installing them on. I have the bub slip on, be real curious how it works out. Might even be interested in installing them on the original pipes. Anyone do this?

Thanks

Jim W aka Bubman

I have the Bub slip on muffs with the flaking chrome problem on the stock tips. I saw a post somewhere that these HD fishtail tips will go on the Bubs without too much trouble. We'll see.

Well, a little tougher than I thought it would be but not too bad. With 40,000 miles on the Bubs the original tips and baffles were a bear to get apart. The fiberglass packing that was on the baffles is totally gone and I didn't buy any to replace it.

To get the HD tips to fit I used a 1/4" die grinder with a 1/4" X 2" grinding wheel to hog out (no pun intended) the Bub muffs until the HD tips would slide in and out without any binding. This was not a big job. It only took a few thousandths of an inch to get them to slip in.

The baffle plate that used to fit snugly into the original tips ended up having about a 1/4 inch gap all around it with the HD tips. This may cause things to be a little louder than before. If so I will take it back apart and add packing and or high temp silicone. I ended up welding 1/4" nuts where the two rivets attached to the baffles and this helped to keep them centered in the opening. Drilling the original rivet holes in the mufflers out to 1/4" I was able to use some stainless screws to hold everything together.

Got to go out and do the other side now. I'll take a couple of pics to better show what I did.

The second side went a lot faster than the first. I guess I wasn't so worried about damaging the stock tips once I knew that the HD tips would work.

Here are a few pics.

#1 shows the old and the new

#2 tool I used to grind out the muffs

#3 ready to go

#4 1/4" nuts welded to baffle end plate

#5 shows the space between the muff and the end plate (this can be filled with silicone if desired)

you got a picture of the bike with the pipes on.

Think i will get this done this fall when things slow down. thanks for all the pictures and information

Jim

The bike is apart for new tires. I'll post a pic with the new tips on the bike when I get it back together.

BTW... if you don't like loud, repack the baffles and silicone around the rear baffle plate.

• 4 weeks later...
you got a picture of the bike with the pipes on.

Think i will get this done this fall when things slow down. thanks for all the pictures and information

Jim

Jim,

Sorry this took so long. I just got back from the VR rally in CO and just getting caught up.

• 2 weeks later...