IGNORED

Removing the tape deck

chag67

Has anyone removed their tape deck and turned the space into a cubby hole?

I would like to do that and use the space for my wallet, phone, iPod, etc.

Is it difficult to remove? What do you do with the wiring?

I also want to remove the radio/cb mount on the left handlebar. I listen to my iPod through Bluetooth so I have no need for the radio anymore. I would like to mount my GPS in that spot.

Has anyone removed their radio as well? Difficulty?

I plan on keeping everything in case I ever bump my head really hard and sell the bike in the future.

You will have to remove the fairing and windshield. You will see the radio, it's the black box, remove it. Four 8 mm bolts and it will slide out the right side. the Tape deck is under the radio. There is two 10 mm bolts (one on each side and two Phillips head screws behind the door of the tape deck. You can unplug the controller from the radio and leave the radio in the bike, It will not be hard to re install if you decide to later. You may have to loosen the top headlight bolts to give you room th get the tape deck out. Hope this helps ,it's been a while since:080402gudl_prv: I did mine.

If you go up top in the header on the top of the forum pages, there is a search tab. Type in cassette deck and it will bring up all threads on the cassette deck and any thread that has cassette in it. I know there are several threads where members have removed the unit and is just what you are wanting to do. Personally I would investigate a bit further and even though you would render the deck useless, I would modify it to keep the door so you could open and close it just like it is stock....

:2cents: