IGNORED

Bouncy carb slides

I pulled the filter out of my Mk.2 the other night and started the bike. the slides are all moving, but i've got one that likes to bounce when you rev it up. is this normal?

I'm not all that familiar with CV carbs, and the suzuki i used to own and the virago i have now don't do this.

thanks,

I pulled the filter out of my Mk.2 the other night and started the bike. the slides are all moving, but i've got one that likes to bounce when you rev it up. is this normal?

I'm not all that familiar with CV carbs, and the suzuki i used to own and the virago i have now don't do this.

thanks,

Regardless of make when you purchase an old bike you should check compression as you get to know the bike and go thru the paces of tuning or correcting issues!

What you describe above could be likely due to a perforated diaphragm which is my guess from here;)

Because it move back then looses position and tries again suggests that the rubber diaphragm cannot hold vacuum; as the diaphragm changes shape the perforation increases in size so it....

But seriously take the time to check compression, this helps us help you.

Check coil voltage now post it, then again we have a reference.

Is the air filter in good condition, this includes a foam gasket at the top.

Do you see any oil pooling in the airbox, not just a coating (normal) but say some oil hanging in the corner?

Check the coolant, just like you would on a car, too often the rads are overlooked and a cleaning is helpful.

Use some penetrating oil on the oil filter housing the 1st time you remove it, take your time and use steady pressure, the O-ring often get seized up.

Check the bolt on your side stand for wear, just in case, she a mother when she takes a nap on her side.

How does you front end feel for action, look for smooth compression. Apply the front brake firm and force her to rock back and forth, any noise?

Patch

Sorry only after posting did I notice you've been a member for a couple of years!

No problem. The bike is in good shape as far as the basic maintenance items go. I haven't checked compression yet, but the bike really hasn't given me a reason to suspect a weak cylinder.

i just haven't seen a CV carb slide act like that. i'll pull the slides this weekend to inspect them.

thanks,

No it is not normal to have one slide bouncing, they all should be bouncing.

Since you say they all move freely, I would start by checking your diaphragms for pin holes.

If no one has already replaced the diaphragm cover screws, there is one security screw on each cover. Harbor freight sells a cheap set of security screwdriver bits that will get that one out. Then replace all the screws with Stainless steel hex socket head cap screws to make the job much easier next time, Murphy says that if you make it easy for next time that there will never be a next time.