IGNORED

1983 VR Exhaust Problem.

Hey everyone,

OK, I bought a 1983 VR a few months ago. Love it! Runs great! Looks good. But it had a bit of an exhaust leak. I thought that it might be something with the rear manifold pipes running down to the h-pipe (or whatever its called.) So I went to e-bay and picked up the parts I needed. The only problem is, now that I've put them all back together, the leak is even worse. I don't know what to do now. I'm very frustrated. I've taken these things off and put them back on mulitiple times. I just don't know how to seal them any better. Should I use something like J-B weld? Or is there something else? I've looked over the forum but can't seem to find anything that will help.

~ Frustrated in Ohio

Well, I did replace the two in the front pipes, but I didn't actually remove the two in the rear. At least not from the manifold/header. The two seals I used on the y-pipe looked pretty good so I didn't worry about them.

The area that I seem to noice the biggest problem is where the pipes connect to the h-pipe section. A lot of smoke. There seemed to be some type of copper jacket, but its not sealing well. I'll try to take some photos to show what I've done so far.

Thanks for the replay.