IGNORED

'86 won't act right!

as everyone knows, these mkII's won't run worth a tinker's dam, without the air filter in place.

mine will run JUST long enough , without the "enrichment lever at about 1/2, to see that the #4 diaphragm doesn't move when you turn the throttle.then it dies.

need troubleshooting help on this one.

i had the diaphragms all out a few months ago, and did the "liquid tape " repair on a few small cracks and pinholes.

question is WHY is #4 the only one that doesn't dance?

it isn't "frozen up", as i can move it manually.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

just jt:confused07:

Have you taken and swapped the diaphragm from one carb to another to see if it is a problem w/ the part or the carb??

gonna do that LATER this afternoon, when it cools down a little.

can't see the urgency in working on a hot motor, when it is above 90* , outdoors!

lol

just jt

Jack.

you can't see it in the picture, but the rubber part, DOES have a "tab", on it.

might not be as large as the ones that the guy was selling on e bay a couple of weeks back, but it's there!

thanks for the info on the lock tite.

just jt

Jack.

you can't see it in the picture, but the rubber part, DOES have a "tab", on it.

might not be as large as the ones that the guy was selling on e bay a couple of weeks back, but it's there!

thanks for the info on the lock tite.

just jt

Yeah, 'our' tab looks more like a finger nail clipping. The one on Ebay was narrower and taller. Another thing I later thought about is the thickness of the rubber itself. The stuff in our diaphragms is a fairly thin material, and those looked like they might be a bit thicker. I could be wrong, but thicker rubber might make for a slower response time??

i totally agree with what you did , and what you just said.

they looked "different ", to me too.

at any rate, looks like i am gonna have to "splurge" on a set of oem's here pretty quick.

OUCH!

just jt

I agree JT, but wait a bit, and I'll put together a 'how to' on refinishing diaphragm pin holes with Plasti-Dip. It's a rubberized spray from Home Depot, and I've had some good results using the stuff. For instance. Did you know that the cardboard tubes inside toilet paper rolls fit perfectly over the nylon retaining rings holding the diaphragm rubber, and the plastic slide can be covered with a sheet of wraped printer paper so the spray won't get on it.... A thin coat of PD on both sides makes the rubber look like new. Gotta take pics... :)

jack!

you ain't gonna believe it, but i actually LOOKED at a can of "plasti-dip", last week.

stood there and stared at it for 10 minutes wondering if it would work or not.it is at my work shop, and will NEVER be used for anything, so i might as well "appropriate it, " when i go back in , on Tuesday.

lol

just jt

jack!

you ain't gonna believe it, but i actually LOOKED at a can of "plasti-dip", last week.

stood there and stared at it for 10 minutes wondering if it would work or not.it is at my work shop, and will NEVER be used for anything, so i might as well "appropriate it, " when i go back in , on Tuesday.

lol

just jt

Nothing better than 'midnight' Plasti-Dip... :) Just make sure it's the spray and not the liquid. Although the liquid may work for spotting the pin wholes.. I donno..never tried it?? I dug out a old diaphragm assembly last night, and maybe sometime today I'll take a few pics of what I ended up doing. The rubber on this one actually has a small tear so it's going to be sorta an experiment to see just how big of a hole this PD stuff will seal...

It's a Temparary fix at best!---------I applied the liquid and spray{spray is new w/in a couple of yrs.} after 4th time -------------I bit the bullet and plunked down the big shekels---------------if u go the plasti-dip way make sure that every 8-10 months that u do pull the carbs tops and RE=check'em!---------:usa::sun1:

For instance. Did you know that the cardboard tubes inside toilet paper rolls fit perfectly over the nylon retaining rings holding the diaphragm rubber,

Amazing what goes through a person's mind whilst he's sittin on the throne, lookin at the empty roll of TP paper and wondering what he's gonna do.... (help!! we're outta TP paper!!)

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

JT, I have an old one that you can have that has no holes and no cracks you can have. It is worn though and will eventually develop a hole but is in one piece and I imagine would work. PM your addy if you want it.

LOL....!!!!!! Around here we have no problem finding TP tubes with me being outnumbered by the gals 3-2, and the other guys a cat.... :rotf::rotf:

If you use Loctite, make sure it's the right kind as they make an adhesive for everything. I just had a bearing - seal guy make me an o-ring for the water pump cover as he didn't have the right size. He took a larger one, cut some out, and used some Loctite product (404 maybe) to glue the ends together. After about 30 seconds curing with me going, "Is that gonna hold?", he pulled, stretched, and deformed that ring, with no problem in the bond. He said it will break elsewhere before the bond breaks.

Jeremy

LOL....!!!!!! Around here we have no problem finding TP tubes with me being outnumbered by the gals 3-2, and the other guys a cat.... :rotf::rotf:

LOL, I guess I should have clairified that it was a DIAPHRAM for the CARBS :doh: (made sure this time to also say that) that you can have.