IGNORED

Throttle Cable Replacement

Guest Brad25ca

Guest Brad25ca

I had to replace the # 3 throttle cable on my 86 Royale, and boy what a headache that turned out to be. Aside from the Stealership :mo money:taking almost 2 weeks to get the cable (last time I go there), it's not been an easy road since. First, after I replace the cabled, I can't get rid of all the freeplay. Has anyone else encountered this? I am thinking that the other 3 are stretched, and I'll have to replace all of them to get it back to normal. As well, the cruise control seems to have gone funky. When I set it, I slowly loose speed, it won't maintain. Those things I can deal with. The worst, and it's really my own doing, is now i have electronic interference in the headsets. I rechecked the routing of the harness, and the ground, but I can still "hear" the spark, and it's driving me crazy, as I went form crystal clear to this. :doh:Might my noise filer have gone? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Good news is I finally got my hitch on (thanks Squid) & my new trailer pulls like a dream!!

Edited by Brad25ca

Guest Brad25ca
I had to replace the # 3 throttle cable on my 86 Royale, and boy what a headache that turned out to be. Aside from the Stealership :mo money:taking almost 2 weeks to get the cable (last time I go there), it's not been an easy road since. First, after I replace the cabled, I can't get rid of all the freeplay. Has anyone else encountered this? I am thinking that the other 3 are stretched, and I'll have to replace all of them to get it back to normal. As well, the cruise control seems to have gone funky. When I set it, I slowly loose speed, it won't maintain. Those things I can deal with. The worst, and it's really my own doing, is now i have electronic interference in the headsets. I rechecked the routing of the harness, and the ground, but I can still "hear" the spark, and it's driving me crazy, as I went form crystal clear to this. :doh:Might my noise filer have gone? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Good news is I finally got my hitch on (thanks Squid) & my new trailer pulls like a dream!!

I have a follow-up question....On the carb, where the throttle cable metal elbow meets the bracket, should there be some sort of holder, or receiver, as there is on the closed side? I don't have one, and I wonder if when the throttle cable snapped, it flew off....anyone??

The worst, and it's really my own doing, is now i have electronic interference in the headsets. I rechecked the routing of the harness, and the ground, but I can still "hear" the spark, and it's driving me crazy, as I went form crystal clear to this. :doh:Might my noise filer have gone? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

I've never had to replace the cables, but I've never had one so stretched that I couldn't adjust it. That doesn't sound right.

Why do you say the noise is your "own doing"? What did you do? How did it start?

Jeremy

Guest Brad25ca
I've never had to replace the cables, but I've never had one so stretched that I couldn't adjust it. That doesn't sound right.

Why do you say the noise is your "own doing"? What did you do? How did it start?

Jeremy

Not sure why the noise started, but I believe i might have done somethign to either kill the noise filter, or something that has caused the electrical interference.

I can't get rid of the freeplay, which is why I am asking if there is some sort of clip/receiver/holder on the bracket that accets the metal elbow of the throttle cable that might have fallen off when the cable snapped.

You could have freeplay in the Upper pull cable section between the twist grip and the " throttle joint " unit.

Or you could have play in the lower pull cable section from the throttle joint to the Carb.

Take the left side lower fairing off, and you can get access to the cable length adjustment Lock Nut, and adjustment screw. About 2 1/2 inches from where the cable Exits the tube, before it connects to the carb linkage assembly,

I set the Main Idle adjust on the left fwd carb to just makeing contact, then adjust the abov mentioned " adjustment " to give about 1/16 inch of freeplay, then set main idle speed,---

The go back and readjust the cable length to allow for no more then 1/16 inch of play.

Don't forget that you could have excess play in the UPPER Cable, adjust that At the Twist Grip. There is an adjusment there also. I set that for NO play.

One other item, The dealer mechanic may not have Properly Reassembled your

" Throttle Joint Unit " when relaceing the single cable.

Only way to get to the Throttle Joint unit, is to Remove the Upper Fairing half. Sorry !!! not a fun job.

Guest Brad25ca
You could have freeplay in the Upper pull cable section between the twist grip and the " throttle joint " unit.

Or you could have play in the lower pull cable section from the throttle joint to the Carb.

Take the left side lower fairing off, and you can get access to the cable length adjustment Lock Nut, and adjustment screw. About 2 1/2 inches from where the cable Exits the tube, before it connects to the carb linkage assembly,

I set the Main Idle adjust on the left fwd carb to just makeing contact, then adjust the abov mentioned " adjustment " to give about 1/16 inch of freeplay, then set main idle speed,---

The go back and readjust the cable length to allow for no more then 1/16 inch of play.

Don't forget that you could have excess play in the UPPER Cable, adjust that At the Twist Grip. There is an adjusment there also. I set that for NO play.

One other item, The dealer mechanic may not have Properly Reassembled your

" Throttle Joint Unit " when relaceing the single cable.

Only way to get to the Throttle Joint unit, is to Remove the Upper Fairing half. Sorry !!! not a fun job.

Did the job myself and made all the adjustments as suggested....still stumped

Did you dissassemble the Throttle Joint?

Did the Spring fly out ?? ( mine did )

If so, did you replace the spring inside the throttle joint proberly ? ( just a thought )

Are you sure the freeplay is not up at the Twist Grip Assembly ??

I just replaced #3 cable about a year ago and I agree its a major PITA to replace.....About the freeplay..the cable runs through a 90 deg metal tube..one end of that tube has an adjustment that you screw out to lengthen the tube thus taking freeplay out of the cable..(it takes a 10mm open end wrench to adjust..)

Guest Brad25ca
I just replaced #3 cable about a year ago and I agree its a major PITA to replace.....About the freeplay..the cable runs through a 90 deg metal tube..one end of that tube has an adjustment that you screw out to lengthen the tube thus taking freeplay out of the cable..(it takes a 10mm open end wrench to adjust..)

I think this might be the problem. I don't have an adjustment screw at the 90 degree tube..I think that might have flown off when the cable snapped.

Guest Brad25ca
The noise filter is mounted to the left inner fairing did you disconnect it when messed with the throttle cables and not hook it back up?

Hooked it back up. Went over everything with a fine tooth comb with my brother who is a very meticulous.

Guest Brad25ca
Well, if that Adjustment Section is Missing, you will Have To Replace It. !!

NO, way around that . Start looking at the IPC, for Part Numbers.

I'm sorry, I re-read the post and misinterpreted what you were describing. I bought the complete cable, which includes the adjuster that is on the cable. I am wondering if there is a holder, or receiver that is supposed to be on the bracket (like there is on the closed side) that has fallen off? I looked on the parts diagram, but I can't tell, and I can't find a decent picture of the carbs from the throttle side.

Guest Brad25ca
Did you dissassemble the Throttle Joint?

Did the Spring fly out ?? ( mine did )

If so, did you replace the spring inside the throttle joint proberly ? ( just a thought )

Are you sure the freeplay is not up at the Twist Grip Assembly ??

I had to disassemble the joint, spring is still in place, didn't loose it. There is too much freeplay in the cable, but the shroud seems to fit fine both at the grip , joint, and the carb. Mind you, not knowing if there is a receiver or holder that is supposed to be on the bracket hinders the process.

I think this might be the problem. I don't have an adjustment screw at the 90 degree tube..I think that might have flown off when the cable snapped.

...If you ordered a new cable then it comes with that 90 deg metal tube that the cable runs through...one end of that tube goes into a holder on the carb and the other end has an adjustment that when turned out will lengthen thereby taking freeplay out of the cable....

Bad pic of metal tube but you can see where the adjustment is on the end..

Guest Brad25ca
...If you ordered a new cable then it comes with that 90 deg metal tube that the cable runs through...one end of that tube goes into a holder on the carb and the other end has an adjustment that when turned out will lengthen thereby taking freeplay out of the cable....

Bad pic of metal tube but you can see where the adjustment is on the end..

Thanks for the pic, I do have that. My question is, where the cable comes out and hooks to the carb, does it fit into something that stops the metal tube from dropping right through the hole of the bracket? On the closed side, where the cable meets the bracket, there is a receiver that stops the tube from sliding straight through the hole.

The 90 degree Section should mount Solidley In Place. IT must NOT move.

The Adjustment section of the cable and Locking Nut, come as Part OF the New Cable assembly !!

IF you do not have the Adjustment Section, and Lock Nut, then, you have the wrong cable. ie I am beginning to suspect that you might be useing a Return Cable, Instead of a PULL cable . ???? Double check this, You said, there is not Adjustment section on your Cable ??? Does not make sence.

Study the IPC, make sure you have the correct part number.

Thanks for the pic, I do have that. My question is, where the cable comes out and hooks to the carb, does it fit into something that stops the metal tube from dropping right through the hole of the bracket? On the closed side, where the cable meets the bracket, there is a receiver that stops the tube from sliding straight through the hole.

Yes, it fits into a brass bracket as shown in the pic....(I used a little loctite on that end of the tube..) You adjust the other end to take freeplay out of the cable

Guest Brad25ca
Yes, it fits into a brass bracket as shown in the pic....(I used a little loctite on that end of the tube..) You adjust the other end to take freeplay out of the cable

Problem solved, I am missing the brass bucket. Thanks bobcat for taking the time to take the pictures.

Thanks everyone, now I know what I need to do.

Guest Brad25ca

Almsot solved...it looks like the throttle calbe is threaded on the outside of the white plastic roller...or is it just the pic:confused24:???

Thanks again

Guest Brad25ca

Went to the dealership & the part I need can't be ordered, it's part of the full carburetor assembly, so I'll have to look for something else to take it's place, might have to get something machines to act as a receiver.

Thanks again everyone

Guest Brad25ca

Thanks to everyone, Jimbo had a nextra & it`s on the way.

I`ll be back on the road soon (hopefully before the snow flies here in Nova Scotia)!!

• 1 year later...