It's possible to resolder the "solder mound" on the main connector block and STILL get the random error codes... an easy check is just cycle the ignition key while jiggling the cable... if the codes change... it's STILL the connector block.

It's the PIN that has microscopic corrosion around it making an intermittent connection. The "trick" is that you want to apply the soldering IRON (never a gun) to the TIP of the PIN... you don't want to even TOUCH the solder mound. You want the iron to heat the pin up enough that it breaks down the corrosion and starts transmitting heat to the surrounding

solder mound... finally melting it. THEN add a TINY bit of new solder and get off.

The BEST method is the same as above but as the solder mound starts to melt, use solder wick or a solder sucker and get rid of the old solder... reheat the PIN and then add fresh solder. More solder doesn't make a better connection.

And, I might add that on the last two boards I've rescued, I did the typical connection joints and found that it still did not work.

Don't give up. If those were the ones you did carefully and you still get error messages, do ALL THE SOLDER JOINTS on the board and your likelihood of it working is increased tremendously.

It's not an exact science, but it seems that most of the boards don't really have component failures only connection problems.

Murph'

Thats what I did the second time round...all the pins I could find on both levels. I didnt even try and see if there was obvious cracks, I just did em all. Worked great after and is still going strong...I think...sold the ole girl a couple months ago.

Hey folks, I have one off an '84 that I parted out. It looks like somebody hit it with a soldering iron before and didn't do a very good job. I don't know if it's any good or not but I'll give it to the first person who asks for it.

I'll take it. I have a couple others to repair and may get lucky returning this one from the dead!

Greg Murphy

10714 Stoneridge Dr.

Shelbyville, MI 49344

If you have a paypal account, I'll shoot you over $10. to cover sending Priority Mail or you can send a payment request to auctions@mascom.com

Thanks.

AH HA We finally got it to work had to pull apart the compressor it was blowing air instead of sucking it in via vent tube everything works good now. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS .

I hope I can return the favor someday to someone else. This is actually my second venture first one was an 83 I will have to dig up some old photos to post. Dave :smile5:

I'll take it. I have a couple others to repair and may get lucky returning this one from the dead!

Greg Murphy

10714 Stoneridge Dr.

Shelbyville, MI 49344

If you have a paypal account, I'll shoot you over $10. to cover sending Priority Mail or you can send a payment request to auctions@mascom.com

Thanks.

It's yours. I'm out of town right now but will get it in the mail this weekend.