IGNORED

Engine idling slow after tipover

Gearhead

I posted about how my bike blew over in a T-storm last Thursday. It sat for a couple hours completely horizontal. I picked it up and checked it over for a few minutes before starting it up. It started quickly and ran fine, but the idle has been low ever since. I had it idling in the 900-1000 rpm range before, and it probably dropped 3-400 rpm, such that it tends to die before fully warm. It's hard to find an effective choke setting that keeps the bike on a fast idle. Today I increased the idle speed thumbscrew setting to get the idle back where it belongs, but I had to screw it in, oh, maybe one full turn. That isn't right.

What could cause this? I could understand if it idled slowly right at first until the fluids stabilized in their normal places, but not for several days! Ideas?

Jeremy

Are you sure its firing on all cylinders? (Sounds like its lost 1 cyl)

Is the battery level normal in all cells? (might be running at low voltage)

Any evidence of acid spillage on the TCI?

Check airbox to see if air cleaner element got a shot of oil from crankcase vent.

this is a very common occuance on all carburated bikes. what happens is sediment in the float bowl stirs up and will get into the pilot jet in one or more of the carbs and clog it. on a venture the hole is only around .014 " this clogs the idle circuit on that cyl.. your probably hitting on 3 cylinders.which is causing the slow idle. like i said it is very very common. same thing happens when you let one sit to long with gas in the carbs.except in that case varnish accumulates and clogs the pilot jet. you might try some gumout, but i think your in for a little carb cleaning. bill

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, it does seem like it's missing except it's pretty smooth to be running on 3, and there's no sudden point where I feel the other cylinder come back in. I'll try pulling plug wires one-by-one while idling.

I checked the battery the same night which was still up to level so it evidently didn't leak much. I went ahead and poured some baking soda solution around it and then rinsed the whole area very well to wash away any acid that did leak.

Haven't yet checked the air filter.

Jeremy

these v-4's have a tendency to still run fairly smooth even if you lose 1 cyl., if it is the right one in the timing order. once you get off the primary circuit at about 1/3 throttle it will run great cuz you are on the main jet. as old as your bike is i would say clean the carbs and get it over with. unless you have a set of micro drills just replace all the pilot jets while you have it apart. they are cheap. been working with carbs for 40 years and can pretty well diagnose the problem. bill :)