IGNORED

Loose Radio Antenna

My antenna is loose where it threads into the black piece with the chrome bezel piece.

I can't get it to tighten or loosen because the whole thing turns, meaning the piece that threads onto the mount itself.

Any ideas on how to get it off of there so I can get some loctite on it and thread it back on

I don't mind it being loose but am afraid of losing it.

Can I get an aftermarket antenna that just goes on the mounting bracket?

Thanks,

Ross

Which antenna is it. My CB antenna had a connection that you just pulled up on and it would pull straight off the mating female piece on the arm. I thought mine wouldn't tighten either until I was turning one day and pulled up and boom, off it came.

I agree with GeorgeS about the firestick mod. Here's a site that addresses this (Marshall Mod). I did it when the black plastic on my CB antenna desintegrated and the whole deal cost me less than 1 OEM CB antenna... $105 shipped including the fold downs. Some don't use the fold downs because they are somewhat loose.

http://www.bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm

Got my old AM/FM antenna and, since it was already broken, I got a better anatomy of the unit.

I've included 3 photos. I don't believe the black plastic piece on the outside has much bearing on the function. It appears that the antenna, from the chrome bezel is one piece that, if the black plastic were not there, would screw into the thread on the piece that screws onto the bracket.

In the pic of the antenna laying down, it shows how the treaded bottom piece goes into the top section of the antenna.

In the second pic I show the mating connector inside of the bottom of the antenna. Don't be fooled by the photo. The shiny spot on the bottom of the black plastic piece is a very smooth part of the plastic that reflects the light and looks like metal. The only metal in that photo is the treaded piece at the bottom of the hole in the plastic.

I think the most telling pic is the 3rd one. Notice that there are 2 sections to that bottom piece. The threaded piece goes into the outside (ground portion) of the connector and is kept from making contact with the ground portion. The ground portion is the part that screws to the bracket. Now look at the side of the outside ground. Note that the black plastic insulator, that keeps the threaded portion from contacting the ground piece secures to the ground piece by going through the ground piece. It's my belief that, what has happened to your antenna is, those pieces that come through the ground portion have probably sheered and are allowing that whole piece to rotate inside of the ground portion

Hope this is clear. So, I think, you've only got 3 choices. Either use the antenna as is and not fold it down, buy a new OEM antenna, do half the Marshall mod with a firestick, or do the full Marshall mod.

Oh, another guy here did a semi marshall mod.. what he did was use a splitter for the CB and the Radio and made the whole thing into an single antenna unit. Here's the mod. in the tech section:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11486

Good work!!

That is exactly what I needed to do myself, but was afraid of mucking something up beyond repair.

Now that I know what the anatomy of this thing is, I will attempt to get it apart and fix it.

I will update as to what I do.

Thanks again.

Ross

Keep in mind that the plastic piece on mine was broken at the bottom, that is how I was able to unscrew the bottom piece from the top. I fear that you won't be able to get them apart unless you break the plastic piece. On top of this you may not be able to get the antenna off of the bracket unless you cut the cable at the bottom. They really make this a pain in the butt to replace, that's for sure.

gibvel,

I am in the middle of doing the marshall mod myself. I think it was my very 1st post about my cb antenna. I was given this link for a Firestik am/fm antenna. I checked and at least at that time they had it in stock. http://www.westcoastmall.net/amfm3b-...nna-p-212.html I gave the info. to Firestik and also asked why they discontinued production of the am/fm antenna. Here is what they said

The am/fm antennas were a slow moving item and when things get busy, slow moving items are often axed in the best interest of concentrating on the products that sell best. If you can get your hands on the AM/FM antenna, it should perform better than a standard Firefly for AM/FM use.

Here is the link to do single antenna mod: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11486

Thanks Freebird for both links.