IGNORED

Trailors - need help

Guest Tom E

Guest Tom E

I have found that living on some achers has caused need for a light trailor, but I also thought of the scoot - "what if."

What size trailor do I need, if I have need to trailor my scoot, yet not too big so I can comfortably use it for my yard equipement?

The very MINIMUM in LENGTH that I would go is 10 ft

MINIMUM WIDTH would be 4 feet depending how high the sides are..

You might want to go with 6 ft in width to be sure nothing hits anything ..

My 05 RSV is 9ft, 2 inches in length from the most foward tip of front wheel to rear most aft edge/ end of the mufflers.

That leaves me only 10 inchs of extra length on my 10 ft long enclosed trailer that I have...

I bought a 5x10 open trailer to carry my toolbox and 83 VR on when I go job to job I have looked at it and am sure that I can safely get both of my 83s on this trailer.whatever you get make sure it can carry the weight and is what you want otherwise you may wind up with 2 trailers.

I bought a 5x10 open trailer to carry my toolbox and 83 VR on when I go job to job I have looked at it and am sure that I can safely get both of my 83s on this trailer.whatever you get make sure it can carry the weight and is what you want otherwise you may wind up with 2 trailers.

I have an 5x10 open Jeff, and I wouldn't want to try it with a couple of full dress bikes. I loaded the 87 and the 93 on it once and even tho they both were missing some plastic it was a very tight squeeze. If they had been complete I'da busted some stuff. I originally had a 7x14, and wish I'd never traded for the smaller one.

Guest Tom E

It sounds like a 5x10 would easily cary, if necessary both my 93 and the narrower Silverwing. They want about $1100 for a new one at the local place. It would be nice to have a new one, but will start out looking for a used one.

Thank you, guys, so much for the great info.

It sounds like a 5x10 would easily cary, if necessary both my 93 and the narrower Silverwing. They want about $1100 for a new one at the local place. It would be nice to have a new one, but will start out looking for a used one.

Thank you, guys, so much for the great info.

That's what I thought Tom, but when push came to shove it didn't work. For trailering two bikes, and not damaging anything, I'd recommend 6x12 minimum. It's not the length that get's ya, it's the width. Two VR's side by side are just too wide for a 5' wide trailer.

I have had several snowmobile trailers over the years I have used for hauling bikes on - they all served well.. Then about 5 years ago a friend bought one of those cheapy ($240) little 4x8 bolt together flat beds from Farm and Fleet. He bolted it together and used it for about a month to haul his dirtbike on, he complained about it being way to flimsy and I offered him 100 bucks for it. I wanted it to tow behind my Ford Festiva. He was happy to kget rid of it!

I took it and welded all the joints up, put a sheet of 3/4 inch wolmanized for a deck on it and 2x8's flat along the sides and down the center.. This little trailer went from a flimsy worthless little snot rag to a VERY firm - GREAT pulling trailer! I hav towed big bikes all over the country on it behind my little car - getting 42 mpg the whole time!!

I believe that Harbor Frieght is now carrying this cool little trailers - CHEAP! If you go this route, make sure you get the one with 12 inch wheels with tires rated at 1200 pounds. Also, as I recall the axle under the trailer is rated at a ton.. Also you WILL have to weld up the seams - bolting it together just dosnt work!!

Five years of countless trips and I am almost ready for another one myself!

Hope this helps!

'Puc