IGNORED

Kuryakin grips coming up short!

Guest karras

Guest karras

I just finished the tune up and I purchased the Kuryakyn 6235. The web site states that the 6235 are for all Venture Royale.

I have an 1984 VR and what I don't understand is that the grip on the left side seems to be too short and very loose when I put it on. The package says 6235 but could there have been an error in packaging or am I doing something wrong?

Simply puting on by itself, there is a alot of play, then it comes up about 1" too short?

Thank God I cut open the left side first...and just as I thought I could go for a ride tonight!!! :bawling: :bang head: :bang head:

Anyone else run into this problem...or is it me again? The instructions talk of the spacer but from what I see and understand that is for if they are too long?

It's a conspiracy for me not to take it for a ride!!!

I just finished the tune up and I purchased the Kuryakyn 6235. The web site states that the 6235 are for all Venture Royale.

I have an 1984 VR and what I don't understand is that the grip on the left side seems to be too short and very loose when I put it on. The package says 6235 but could there have been an error in packaging or am I doing something wrong?

Simply puting on by itself, there is a alot of play, then it comes up about 1" too short?

Thank God I cut open the left side first...and just as I thought I could go for a ride tonight!!! :bawling: :bang head: :bang head:

Anyone else run into this problem...or is it me again? The instructions talk of the spacer but from what I see and understand that is for if they are too long?

It's a conspiracy for me not to take it for a ride!!!

Stock Venture grips are longer than most other bike's grips. Although I never used Kuryakyns, I changed to new grips and they, of coarse, came up short as they are for normal bikes. I made a spacer on each side to clean up the area. I must say though that the new grips that I installed, although being shorter in length than stock, they still fit the bars snugly.

If the grips are to loose you could always clean the bars real good and then put on some plastic electrical tape that would increase the bars diameter a little making the grips tighter. The grips should go on very snugly so as to not have any movement once in place. A trick I have used to get the grips on a little easier and then still be snug enough to not move is to spray hair spray liberally on both the bar and the inside the grip and then sliding the grip into place. The hair spray acts like a lubricant until dry and then it becomes a light glue that prevents movement.

Dick

Guest karras

I had not thought of electrical tape. As for being a little short, I did not mind and figure the same, either a spacer or move the manual choke unit closer. But they did not fit snug at all...very loose...that worried me...why would they put VR in the list?

I'll try the electrical tape cause I really like the handles. Thanks for the tip!

Guest karras

OOPS...but I did not try the throttle one yet however....if it's not snug on one side, could that cause a problem for the throttle one? I did not undo the throttle yet.

OOPS...but I did not try the throttle one yet however....if it's not snug on one side, could that cause a problem for the throttle one? I did not undo the throttle yet.

Have you tried both grips on the left side, to see which has the best fit, as the one to go on the throttle tube, will be a larger diameter.

Guest karras
Have you tried both grips on the left side, to see which has the best fit, as the one to go on the throttle tube, will be a larger diameter.

The throttle one is different as it has 2 hooks at the end for the cable to go in, so I can't inter-change them. Just worried cause I sliced the old one on the other side but it still went back in fine cause it is so snug. The tape idea will work on that side but the throttle I don't know if I should just go buy another pair and sell hese new ones on eBay at a loss...:mo money: :mo money:

I was planning to use the Kuryakyn 6180 series grips that are advertised at 7/8" x 6-1/4" whish is about the longest grip you can purchase.

This matches up pretty well with the stocker grips.

Which web site reference the 6235 number for the 1st gens?

I found the 6235 listed for the Venture Royale Star, but not the 1st gen Venture Royales...

Referance the previous thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5475&highlight=kuryakyn+6180

Hope this helps,

Davg90

The throttle one is different as it has 2 hooks at the end for the cable to go in, so I can't inter-change them. Just worried cause I sliced the old one on the other side but it still went back in fine cause it is so snug. The tape idea will work on that side but the throttle I don't know if I should just go buy another pair and sell hese new ones on eBay at a loss...:mo money: :mo money:

Ok, I didn't realize those ones came with the throttle tube. Usually I am putting the new grip onto the existing throttle tube on the bike. Did you get the ones for 7/8" or 1 inch diameter bars, as the early 1st gen bars are 7/8", not sure on the later 1st gen (never seen one yet).

Guest karras
I was planning to use the Kuryakyn 6180 series grips that are advertised at 7/8" x 6-1/4" whish is about the longest grip you can purchase.

This matches up pretty well with the stocker grips.

Which web site reference the 6235 number for the 1st gens?

I found the 6235 listed for the Venture Royale Star, but not the 1st gen Venture Royales...

Referance the previous thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5475&highlight=kuryakyn+6180

Hope this helps,

Davg90

Of you go to the Kuryakin web site:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/category.asp?bn=metric&cn=Grips

On the third picture for ISO grips it pops open another window. In it there is a "CLICK HERE TO SEE FITMENT CHART" The chart at the bottom states "Royal Star and Venture -- ALL". Plus on the package I received it states Venture Royale? I don't get it.

Of you go to the Kuryakin web site:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/category.asp?bn=metric&cn=Grips

On the third picture for ISO grips it pops open another window. In it there is a "CLICK HERE TO SEE FITMENT CHART" The chart at the bottom states "Royal Star and Venture -- ALL". Plus on the package I received it states Venture Royale? I don't get it.

I found the chart as indicated. I personally think that the chart is wrong.

I opened the on-line link to the installation instructions and it does not list at the top the 1st gen Venture Royale at all. It only lists the Yamaha V-Star or Roadstar cycles.

It lists the Kury 6235 as a 5-3/4" grip so I can understand why you say that the grip seems short. That doesn't add up to a whole 1" short though!

Right above the link to the fitment chart it lists the Kury 6180 grip as a 6-1/4" grip which is the correct length.

I would contact Kuryakyn directly about this, and have them replace it with the 6180. Just my 2 cents...

Let us know how you resolve as I am getting close to purchase for my '90 Venture SS.

daveg90

Guest karras
I found the chart as indicated. I personally think that the chart is wrong.

I opened the on-line link to the installation instructions and it does not list at the top the 1st gen Venture Royale at all. It only lists the Yamaha V-Star or Roadstar cycles.

It lists the Kury 6235 as a 5-3/4" grip so I can understand why you say that the grip seems short. That doesn't add up to a whole 1" short though!

Right above the link to the fitment chart it lists the Kury 6180 grip as a 6-1/4" grip which is the correct length.

I would contact Kuryakyn directly about this, and have them replace it with the 6180. Just my 2 cents...

Let us know how you resolve as I am getting close to purchase for my '90 Venture SS.

daveg90

I contacted Kuryakin but no answer yet. I agree with you and it does not say in the instructions, butit does say on the packaging. The company should rectify this. As for the 1", well my choke was pushed a little, I pulled it towards the handle, it helps, there is but a slight gap. I would not mind that except that I cannot risk trying to put them on with glue if they are not even snug, they are VERY loose.

I bought them new off eBay not Kuryakin directly, the guy on eBay said if they are new he would take them back and give me another set. I only took one out to try it on so I will ship them back...question is...are we sure the 6180 would be snug, I don;t care so much about the lenght. So I'll try Kuryakin again before I exchange for the wrong thing.

If anybody Successfully gets these things installed on a 1St Gen.

Could you pleas post some pictures ?? I would be interested in buying a pair of them if they work.

George,

I used the Kuryakyn 6180s with the Throttle Boss. I really like them, and the Throttle Boss really allows you to relax your grip. I used golf club grip tape to install, and it worked well.

DJ

:thumbsup:

...question is...are we sure the 6180 would be snug, I don;t care so much about the lenght. So I'll try Kuryakin again before I exchange for the wrong thing.

The 6180s were not real tight on the left bar, but the layer of grip tape seemed make them fit tight enough. Let them cure for about 12 hours at 70deg and seems to work very well.

DJ

Always install the left bar grip first with out any thing on the bar, should be tight fit. Look into opening of both grips side by side and there is a small diffrence in the diameter for the right side as it has to go over the throttle sleeve. Liberal amount of soap and water mixture will ease installation both sides and will evaporate leaving a clean install.

I found a set at one of the best prices ever @ $55 including shipping! couldn't turn it down as most other places were about $25 more after shippimg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEFGWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140107419966&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks for the information and pictures!.

daveg90

Dave,

Yer welcom,

That is a great price, paid about $75 for mine after tax at a local dealer (I'm a bit of an impulse buyer:mo money: ). Bought the Throttle Boss for $17 and thats the best money I've spent

DJ :smile5:

I know:sign06: Buttt,

Bought the Throttle Boss for $17 and thats the best money I've spent

OOOOOOOPPPS!

Sorry Jack AKA Condor,

The best money I've spent was on the pipes you got us. Got about 400 miles on them now, and they are breaking in and sounding GREAT!!!

Guest karras

Believe it or not it took Kuryakin all this time to answer me! My question to them was both for the lenght and the fact that the grips were loose and did not fit snug.

Here's the email exchange:

I purchased the 6235 grips from that state they are vor all Venture

Royales.

I have an 1984 Venture Royale and what I don't understand is that the grip on the left side seems to be too short and very loose when I put it on. The package says 6235 but could there have been an error in packaging or am I doing something wrong?

simply puting on by itself, there is a alot of play, then it comes up

about 1" to 1 1/2" too short?

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,

John

RESPONSE:

Hi John,

There is a piece of plastic/rubber sleeve included with the grips to

fill out the over length condition of the grips. When that is cut to

length and put in place; it will stiffen up that grip.

PLEASE INCLUDE PREVIOUS MESSAGE WITH REPLY

Brian M

Kuryakyn Tech

1-866-277-9598

bmm@kuryakyn.com

So I wrote back cause obviously the response was not satifactory, plus the fact that the sleeve he talks about is suppose to be for the lenght being too long according to the instructions.

Hi,

Thanks for responding. The problem is not only the length being too

short, the grips are very loose and do not fit snugly onto the bar, so

how is the glue suppose to hold? Is this the correct grips. According to the specs on your web site, the 6680 (made a typo) would perhaps have a better fit length wise but what about the diameter? Is the 6235 the correct one for an 1984 Venture Royale?

Thanks again for your time,

John

RESPONSE:

Hi John,

We don't have a part #6680 in our current catalog. We list the 6235 for all Ventures; if it won't work on an older Venture; you have the option of returning it to the place where you purchased it for refund.

PLEASE INCLUDE PREVIOUS MESSAGE WITH REPLY

Brian M

Kuryakyn Tech

1-866-277-9598

bmm@kuryakyn.com

Real amazing tech support! :happy65: :smash2: :smash2:

Basically if your not happy, that's what we have so return them or have fun figuring it out. Yeah...I'll be purchasing from them again. Iwas extremely polite and asked a simple technical question and I get return them! I spent close to $100 with shipping...money really well spent...:mo money: :mo money: :mo money:

Anyways just thought you would all be interested in Kuryakin's response since I had contacted them...only took them 6 days to get back to me in the first place to tell me to return them!

So I guess I'll use the golf club tape suggested by Dan or sell these on eBay at a loss and purchase another product. Anyone have another suggestion for good quality grips?

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would give others an update on the Kuryakyn Iso Grips I purchased and am now using on my scoot.

I am using the 6180 series grips that seem to fit the first gen Ventures just fine.

I did not use any golf tape as mentioned by DanJ, but I did end up re-glueing the grips twice with the glue supplied by Kuryakyn.

The reason I had to re-glue was my fault because I was worried about using too much glue the first time especially on the throttle grip side.

A word of caution when using the Kuryakyn supplied glue is that is has similar viscocity and stick of Superglue so extreme care should be used when applying.

I just put on about 3000 miles last week getting intimately familiar with my new Iso grips and I absolutely love these grips.

I do suggest that you follow their installation directions down to the letter. Especially related to the amount of glue for one, and the right versus left grip angle for another.

I usually try to prefer "function over form" as they say... but in this case I let the left side of my brain tell me to glue them in so the angle was identical when not riding the bike.

So now they look good at rest, but with the throttle angle at say 1/8 of a twist the right side is at a much better angle than the left side. You will notice the contact areas of the raised rubber grips on your hand over a long distance ride.

I have used the foam style grips for the last 15 years so the Iso grips were a hard sell for me to convert.

The rubber on these grips just seems to grip better as they weather which so far was a complete surprise. No noticeable fatigue related to these grips.

I guess the true test will be over the next couple years of riding, but at this time I would recommend to anyone interested in improving their ride comfort and performance!

daveg90 aka SuperSport