IGNORED

A testament to the RAW POWER of a 1st gen

SilvrT

This past Saturday, Nina & I were out for a ride... came up to a red light, we're first out with a looooong straight stretch ahead of us on a 4 laner. Another rider pulls up behind... he just happened to be on a Harley (Dyna / Fat Boy / Deuce ... something like that). Light turns green... I crank it to the red line, no-clutch shift into 2nd...check my mirrors....he's right on my a$$.....redline it, shift again (no clutch).... check mirrors.... hmmmmmmmmmm.... he's fallen a ways behind.... redline it again...shift to 4th..... well, he's a bit further behind but seemingly holding his own.... crank it almost to redline in 4th but then had to shut 'er down...big corner coming up ... tight "S" turn onto a bridge.... wooooooooo what a rush... no idea what speed I got up to but that "one-up" Harley rider...oooops, I mean "motorcycle rider" had no hope of catching me up to that point but he was sure tryin. As we head into the turn, he's in the outside lane almost beside us. Around the "S" we went and I cranked it on some.... hey!!... where'd he go??... Onto the bridge..check mirrors...ahhhhhhh there he is....seems he couldn't handle that "S" turn so quickly!

I LOVE MY 1st GEN!

I crank it to the red line, no-clutch shift into 2nd...check my mirrors....he's right on my a$$.....redline it, shift again (no clutch)

I LOVE MY 1st GEN!

I shift my 83 a lot without using the clutch, but I let off just enough to syncronize speed and it is smoother than using the clutch. Even though I now have a transmission out of an 86 in mine, I still would not shift without using the clutch at WOT (wide open throttle).

Do you wonder if the Harley rider told any of his friends about getting beat by a bike 20 years old with a passenger?

RandyA

'Shoulda been able to do that up to 3rd gear alone without goin' to 4th. Caught a Suzuki GS 600(?) after he had gone about 50' (I was still goin easy till my Harley-ridin' partner says---Betcha can't ketch him!!) Caught up with him before he let out of it (4 lane to 2 lane). Of course I had to have my ribs taped up because I forgot to tell the Nav b4 I nailed it.........

Dan

Might need to check your carbs and plugs. I run premium Ethanol free Marathon (local small dealer who keeps his stuff fresh), easily do 95 in 3rd, sometimes up to 105 b4 I shift.

I shift my 83 a lot without using the clutch, but I let off just enough to syncronize speed and it is smoother than using the clutch. Even though I now have a transmission out of an 86 in mine, I still would not shift without using the clutch at WOT (wide open throttle).

Oh, I do the same.

Do you wonder if the Harley rider told any of his friends about getting beat by a bike 20 years old with a passenger?

not to mention it was a Yamaha... LOL

No, that is one thing I don't wonder about although as evidenced by one of my other threads, it seems I do wonder about some pretty strange stuff sometimes....

:sign20:

'Shoulda been able to do that up to 3rd gear alone without goin' to 4th. Caught a Suzuki GS 600(?) after he had gone about 50' (I was still goin easy till my Harley-ridin' partner says---Betcha can't ketch him!!) Caught up with him before he let out of it (4 lane to 2 lane). Of course I had to have my ribs taped up because I forgot to tell the Nav b4 I nailed it.........

Dan

Might need to check your carbs and plugs. I run premium Ethanol free Marathon (local small dealer who keeps his stuff fresh), easily do 95 in 3rd, sometimes up to 105 b4 I shift.

like I said... had no idea of the speed and I went to 4th coz it was the next gear up and still had a ways to ge before the "S" turn!! :rotf:

As for what speed I'm at when shifting from 3rd to 4th when cranking it... hmmmmmmm next time I'll have to look..usually I'm watching the tach... now, you're talkin 95 Miles/hr...right?

One thing to keep in mind.... I'm pretty certain my scoot has a Vmax rear end so if yours is stock, it's doubtful I'd match that speed.

Nothing they hate seeing more then an older bike two up and towing a trailer pass em up too. We've done that before. We usually go Harley hunting when we're out especially when we have a few of our friends with us. (right riderduke)

Margaret

You should see their expression when the sidecar passes them.:missingtooth:

Good thing the guy on the harley was just easing on it so you could feel better about you old wing clone.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rasberry:

hmmmmmmm dang... never thought of that.... now I'm wishin I'd gotten his name and number so I could call and thank him for my feeling so good ...

:rasberry: :rasberry: