IGNORED

missing trunk support bolts

The wife and I were riding around yesterday when at a reststop she told me it looked like my trunk was bouncing when I hit sizable bumps in the road. (She was riding her V-Star 1100).

I immediately found that 2 bolts were missing on the left side from the support bars. Also one on the other side was turned about 1/2 way out. Fortunately I had a bunch of zip ties with me and proceeded to attach them for temp. support.

I had just gone over the bike a week earlier with a very good eye when I was spit shining it for a PGR Mission. They were there then, and tight. (I figured they were tight as no space between head of bolt and attachment bar).

Anyone ever have these come loose on their own? I will be getting with my dealer in the morning to express ship me a couple of these. I am riding back to work a week from today, (Sunday, July 27th), 1200 miles one way and would prefer bolts over zip ties. :D I have a bit of luggage, but don't put that much in the trunk. Usually a couple bags on the pilion seat.

Need to get some new ones. Missing 2 and the one that was partway out has damaged threads.

Will take it out and head to NAPA and see if they have some. I am sure that the Yamaha dealer will want 4 times the cost because they come from them.

Guest divey
Need to get some new ones. Missing 2 and the one that was partway out has damaged threads.

Will take it out and head to NAPA and see if they have some. I am sure that the Yamaha dealer will want 4 times the cost because they come from them.

$3.00 each from Yamaha Canada. Just lost 2 of them on the right side. They were on and tight when I left and after a 1500 mile trip, both were gone, not to mention the 2 small ones that hold the right saddlebag lid on. At least those fell into the bottom of the saddlebag so didn't have to buy new ones but from all the posts about screws and bolts coming loose and falling off on these bikes, I think I'll be putting locktite on everything. With the price Yamaha Canada charges for these bikes, somehow having to locktite all screws and nuts just doesn't cut it.

Doug

:D Found trunk bolts at the local hardware store. $.65 each. Not chrome but that is fine by me. (Store had display of chrome bolts, but no-one could find the keys). Would like to powdercoat the entire bike.... then it would be easier to clean. Wife is just the opposite, when in doubt, get her chrome for her bike! Can't go wrong there! (Then she want's me to help her clean her bike.... love only goes so far.... and that is a bit far.... lol)

Got home and found another bolt missing from the radiator cowling. I know that my dealer just had that off the other day. Checked the 2 other bolts and found no locktite at all..... I think I will give up on them. Everytime I have something done to any of my bikes something goes wrong. :Avatars_Gee_George: Locktite would solve 80% of the problems. Went back to hardware store and got a bolt and washer that will work for now. It will be covered in bugs in no time so won't notice it does not match the other one. :cool17: