IGNORED

Blue Ridge Parkway Questions

BradT

We were thinking of heading down to this area and the last week of July. We were at Vogel a couple years back and really liked the area, but I am not really familiar with the MOuntain area and was wondering what is a must see or do.

Just an idea but was thinking of heading down 75 to the knovillle area then heading home thru West virgina and PA. With a couple days of free time in the mountain areas.

Anyone in the area have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Brad

I know but vacation time is the week before, can't help that one. Would be nice to make it but right now it is not gonna happen. So maybe I can do the rides the week before and tell you how great they are :sign20:

Brad

Brenda and I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. You don't want to start in Ashville. IMHO the section from Cherokee to Ashville is the BEST section of all. The section just north of Ashville is closed (or was last week) for construction. Maps for the parkway are available online and are very handy when printed. Our ride included both the parkway and Skyline drive. There is no gasoline available on the parkway but there is on Skyline drive. The speed limit on the parkway is 45 and 35 on Skyline Drive.

Others may squawk but I would do the section from Cherokee to Ashville and then hit the freeway to Roanoke and finish the trip on the parkway and Skyline drive. Just my opinion but it is at least an experienced opinion.

Lynn

(Home today after an 8,000 mile ride)

There's lots to do in that area. Here's the link to the tourism stuff, gives lists of places to eat, stay, interesting sites.

http://www.visitnc.com/

This is one of the sites I think I got from here somewhere about the roads to travel. They have lots of the roads on it for that area. I'm sure Randya and 1rooster will be on to add, as well as a few others.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

I think there's still some part of the blue ridge closed.Here's a link haven't checked it yet though. Hope it gives you any info you need.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Margaret

I rode the parkway last friday. I agree, the section from Asheville to Cherokee is the best section and after riding that much of the parkway I was ready to get off. I rode the Cherohala Skyway saturday and enjoyed it more than the parkway. By the way, I met a red venture on the parkway friday. Was it anyone here? Be careful. Two weeks ago I was on the harley tech talk site and someone that lives a few miles from the blue ridge parkway said a guy from New Jersey got killed on the parkway. They think he was looking at the scenery and ran into the side of the mountain.