IGNORED

RSTD Fuel Reserve question

Hello all. I hope I can make this question understandable. Here goes...

The 2006 RSTD does not have a low fuel light. The final segment of the gase guage blinks and the Fuel trip meter comes on and begins to count up.. When I fill up it generally takes about 3.8-4 gallons when this led segment starts flashing, which would imply that I have 1.3-1.5 gallons of gas left in the tank (the RSTD is 5.3 gallon tank). All of the above is with the fuel petcock in the on position. Now here is the question... Could I keep riding until the engine ran out of gas and then turn the fuel petcock to Reserve and still have fuel left? Or is the Reserve setting just there and the guage is letting me know that I am pulling from the reserve?

The manual is not very clear on this.I am going around 150-160 miles before the last segment begins to flash which would imply a cruising range of about 180-190 miles with about .5 gallons remaining if I can still switch to the Reserve setting on the tank.

Sorry for the long post but not knowing is just nagging me.

Yes...I actually run mine in the "run" position. I sometimes don't notice when the low fuel light comes on so when the engine starts to sputter, I just reach down and switch it to reserve and keep on going. It usually takes 10 to 15 seconds before the engine starts getting gas again and I'm on my way.

Thanks for the response. I am not one to take chances and have not yet had to switch to reserve. The other day I found myself out in the country with flashing led and no gas and nothing in site...nearest town about 15 miles...it got me thinking. Actually after about 150-160 miles I am generally looking to take a break anyhow.

I have a 2005 RSTD and when the fuel gauge starts to blink and count out the miles depending on how im riding I get between 12 and 18 miles before it start's to sputter and switch to reserve and then its good for about 15 to 20 miles . If you go to reserve always remember to switch it back to run at the pump even before you get gas so you dont forget . These bikes are just a bit to heavy to push .

• 1 month later...
Guest Pat S

Now I don't get the same miles that you all do after the fuel sensor starts to flash..I get maybe 10 miles before in need to flip the fuel selector to reserve.....but t6hen I only get 32mpg with the mods that I've done..

Full Bub pipes with Dyna-3000 ignition system,rejetting it twice(first time did not get 20mpg) K-N air filters and hard (FLH) style fairing...

• 1 year later...
:happy34: On my 05 rstd once I learned my distance I leave it on reserve all the time , my mechanic where I bought the bike said, the more you draw from the reserve the less trouble you may have with carburater trouble down the road. I keep an eye on where my milage is when my first line disapears. So far I haven't run out of fuel or had any problems. We are in kilometers but at 180 miles you probably should know where the fuel station is, that's if you are trveling at 70 or 75 mph. That't on straight streches in the curvey's you can go along way's.:2132: