IGNORED

$45 a month for this!!!

FROG MAN

Maybe I expected more but my DSL runs like a snail. It's better then dial up most of the time. We switched when it became available about 18 months ago. It's 5:00 am and it's running at full speed 1250 KB upload 325 KB download. Thats not screaming but compared to 56 K its fast. At least we can run multiple machines now.I notice of an evening after work it starts slowing down 800K,600K 400k 225k are the norms every day. Sometimes it drops to 75K upload and about 25k download. This really ticks me off. It's not the kids hogging the bandwidth on the other machines either. I can put up with rebooting the speed stream router twice everyday when my wireless connection drops. Thats on my route to the coffee pot anyway. I can even tolerate a total DSL outage for 48 hours twice a month because storms went through the southen part of the state 100 miles south of me ( we didn't get any). I have called tech support more times then I can remember and it's the same thing. They issue a ticket number some computer tweeker checks it from his office and nobody comes to the field.I would like to see them replace the router and at least admit that someone else has this problem with slow speeds but no luck. We live 12 miles from the C/O so maybe I'm on the outer limits being in a rural area? The only thing running fast (always on time) is that $45 a month bill.

Edited by FROG MAN

Just remember that downloads are going to go as fast as the slowest link in the chain. If you connect to a site that's in the next city over the path might go through California. That is one of the reasons you should NEVER write anything in an email that you don't want the world to see.

If you are downloading something from a site and one of the paths back to your computer is at 50k then that's as fast as you can download that file period. The rest of the path might be capable of and doing 1meg but 50k is the best you will get because of the slow link. Try canceling the download and restarting it a few times to maybe get a better return path. Also a lot of sites that allow downloads pay for bandwidth and they pay a pretty penny and limit the download speeds, on that note some sites do limit downloads unless you purchase a membership from them. So it may not be your provider that is the source of the slowdown.

There are sites that allow you to test your speeds. I think I have that link at work, I will look for it and post it if I can find it.

Maybe I expected more but my DSL runs like a snail. It's better then dial up most of the time. We switched when it became available about 18 months ago. It's 5:00 am and it's running at full speed 1250 KB upload 325 KB download. Thats not screaming but compared to 56 K its fast. At least we can run multiple machines now.I notice of an evening after work it starts slowing down 800K,600K 400k 225k are the norms every day. Sometimes it drops to 75K upload and about 25k download. This really ticks me off. It's not the kids hogging the bandwidth on the other machines either. I can put up with rebooting the speed stream router twice everyday when my wireless connection drops. Thats on my route to the coffee pot anyway. I can even tolerate a total DSL outage for 48 hours twice a month because storms went through the southen part of the state 100 miles south of me ( we didn't get any). I have called tech support more times then I can remember and it's the same thing. They issue a ticket number some computer tweeker checks it from his office and nobody comes to the field.I would like to see them replace the router and at least admit that someone else has this problem with slow speeds but no luck. We live 12 miles from the C/O so maybe I'm on the outer limits being in a rural area? The only thing running fast (always on time) is that $45 a month bill.

Have you tried bypassing your router and connecting directly to your DSL modem to see if it is faster? If it is then there may be some setting in router that is not correct. You may need to tweak your mtu packet size to work. Someone mentioned dslreports they can tell you what needs to be tweaked on your system.

Make sure there is NO noise in the line, you can hear it in the phone receiver/handset. Use your splitter too, if it uses one. It is supposed to be able to separate the phone and internet signals. Anything else in the line that uses it will kil the speeds - alarms, etc.... Old wiring does not help either.

Download DrTCP from the DSLReports site, and see what your settings are, then run the tweak test on the same site, they will give you suggestions to set your computer up to have peak performance on the web (these settings can be changed with DRTCP...). When I first used the site, I doubled my download speed...

Doug