IGNORED

Tuning first Gen Cb.

Guest Tom E

Guest Tom E

I am seriously considering a Ft. Collins run, but am unsure of my Cb. Is there a way of increasing output power a little on the radio itself, and, or, improving my output by fine tunning this single masted unit as a whole?

I very seldom actually transmit because I haven't been blessed with the gift of gab, but if I need it in the desert, in the middle of the night - I want to have all the power I can get. :whistling: :whistling:

Basically, just make sure your SWR is tuned to the lowest point you can get it. The SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) shows the amount of power that is being sent out and how much is being reflected back into the radio.

Short of having an electronics degree and getting inside and redesigning things I don't think you can increase the power output. The FCC regulates transmitter power on these units.

That being said, there will be someone along in a few minutes who will totally contradict this post so, when that happens, just ignore this post!! :Bunny:

Tom I know some truckers have specialy designed CB power linear amplifiers, and they have max output of 100W. FCC regulation say no more then 4W. :no-no-no:. you may take look at diferent CB antenas ( Firestick ) or simular, or just tune existing one with SWR meter.

Tom I know some truckers have specialy designed CB power linear amplifiers, and they have max output of 100W. FCC regulation say no more then 4W. :no-no-no:. you may take look at diferent CB antenas ( Firestick ) or simular, or just tune existing one with SWR meter.

I used to run a 175watt bi-linear in my pick-m-up. You'll need a stator that puts out a heck of a lot more amps than what we have now. They will get out tho-. Talked to Queensland Australia while mobile from central California when the skip was in, the dash lights would pulse when modulating, and it could be dangerous if the antenna were touched. Where do you think they came up with the name 'FireStick'..... :whistling:

Guest Tom E
I used to run a 175watt bi-linear in my pick-m-up. You'll need a stator that puts out a heck of a lot more amps than what we have now. They will get out tho-. Talked to Queensland Australia while mobile from central California when the skip was in, the dash lights would pulse when modulating, and it could be dangerous if the antenna were touched. Where do you think they came up with the name 'FireStick'..... :whistling:

But are there no 5 watters?? :crying:

Basicly what you Could Do, if this is Really Important to you, would be.

--------Install, whats called, A " Linear Amplifier " If one could find a CB Band linear Amp, of about 25 to 50 Watts power rateing.

--------Do to the size of our Batteries, I would not reccomend any higher power rateing, then 25 Watts, ( 50 at the maximum ) due to Current Draw on the Battery.

------- Also, I would suggest installing a Gell Cell Battery, or the Odyessy Dry Cell ( PC-680 ) IF, you do install a CB Power Amp.

--------This Amplifier could simply be mounted, near the Trunk, and feed with a 1/4 wave length of RG-58/U Coax, and the out put of the Amp would feed the Antenna, with a second length of 1/4 wave length coax. I would suggest a Dual Antenna system to get maximum performance from the Added power Amp, if you are going to go to all the trouble.

------The commercial ( Linear ) Amplifier does not have to be tuned during usage, It simply does its thing, ( amplifies the 5 watt RF Signal from the Transmitter ) They are designed to operate across the entire CB Band, range of frequencies.

However haveing Said all this:

-------Remember, that with a ( lets say 50 watt amplifier ) you will be drawing high current from your battery. This would not be a big problem for short duration transmissions.

----- Also, remember that installing a Power Amp of over 5 watts on a CB Band Transmitter, Is Illegal. I know everybody does it, however, it is illegal.

-----Also, in the "Real World of Radio Propagation" of Signals in the 20 to 35 Megahertz range dureing daylight hours, your Signal is only going to travel 5 to 30 miles for the Ground Wave, ( depending on radio propagation conditions ) on an Average day , with a very good antenna System on a larger vehical, that comprise's a good Ground Plane for your antenna system.

-- ( your vehical Is the Ground Plane )

-- ( I am not talking about Sky Wave or Skip as commonly referred to in the CB culture world , just the local ground wave )

-----A MOTORCYCLE, IS A LOUSEY GROUND PLANE, AT BEST !!!.---

So, wether, you transmit 5 watts, or 50 watts, its not going to make much difference, for communicating with other vehicals within a 10 mile range.

Your money would be better spent, on setting up a Very High Quality Dual Antenna system ( See FireStik Web Site ) With a properly set up Coaxial feed line system.

( Note: this does not mean simply running a random length of coax to the antenna, its more complicated then that )

I would suggest you go to the FireStik Web site, http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Scroll down the left side, you will find a section on " Motorcycle Installations " Read thru all of this Information, and you will have a much better understanding of what is involved. There is a lot of info here concerning Ground Plane, if you are not sure what that is.

OK, where do you find a low power CB RF Amp ?? I'm not sure, go to a CB dealer and ask whats avialable in the 25 Watt Power Range.

If you buy one, buy the best, due to Vibration, moisture, etc etc. Remember, junk is junk, and this includes electronic components.

Forget, the 100 Watt Units, the small motorcycle battery system cannot handle this much current draw.

--- ( however you could install a Double Dry Cell Battery System, lots of work, and Couple hundred bucks. Or more for this. And lots of fabrication work )

--- ( I did this on my 89 Venture, for my Ham Radio VHF/UHF Transciever, which runs 40 Watts of RF output power. This cost me about $250 bucks and lots of work just for the double battery system )

-----What can you expect for results ??

Easy way to answer that would be simply park your Bike in the driveway, and listion to the truckers in your area. Hook up a battery charger while doing this

. Or have your wife or a friend, drive down the road with a CB in the car, and see how far you can talk to them .

If you can hear a 100 Watt Truck unit, 15 miles down the road, the best range on another motorcycle would be about 10 miles. And I think thats stretching it. Even if that motorcycle did have a double antenna system, with a 100 W amplifier.

I recently Installed a new 3 Foot Fire Stik on my 89, Single antenna system. With new coax. I have been monitoring trucks in the area. About the best range I hear is about 10 miles, and trucks beyond that the signal gets scratchy. I assume most of the turckers are running power amps.

I am a Ham Radio operator, been in it since 1959, and have set up several Mobile Installations, of the ham radio bands, and several CB installations in cars. I'm sure that most of what I have said here is " In the Ball Park" , as they say.

However I am open to any and all corrections, and I'm sure there will be a few.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth. George S ( N7UY Ham call sign )

Guest Tom E
Condor is right !!!!!

Drive dureing the day, and sleep at night

Cell phones are the way to go.

It's funny how people get stuck on something and everything else is out of mind. I was thinking so much of the CB that I didn't think of the cell.

Thanx, and George thank you so much for the time you spent on my two problems - the CB and the starter clutch. I will spend some time on it over the next couple of weeks. You spent a lot of effort and these should be put in our tech library.