IGNORED

Trip from Minnesota to Colorado need advice

Bubber

Hi all

I am leaving Minnesota on the 20th of July to visit my daughter in Colorado.

I plan to take my time and meander my way to Colorado (3-4 days out).

What is there to see and do in Northern Iowa and through Nebraska?

I also plan on working my way back through Eastern Wyoming and Eastern Montana and finally go through Sturgis ( a week early) on my way back home.

Suggestions are appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Any people to meet along the way????? :Avatars_Gee_George:

Steve

Hi all

What is there to see and do in Northern Iowa and through Nebraska?

:Avatars_Gee_George:Steve

Uhhhh... NOTHING. Iowa aint too bad, but Nebraska is, in a word, BORRRING, HOT and WINDY...

But that's just my humble opinion.

:15_8_211[1]:

Hey, I am down here, far nw corner of IA, 1 month owner of 83 venture royale, could use a quick visit from someone that knows these bikes, better than me.

Also can give a few ideas to see around here, IA Great Lakes.

Cup of coffee or more available.

That is not true Mr.OWL, Iowa and Neb have some great sites to see along the way.

My daughters live in Colorado and I am very familiar with traveling from MN to CO.

I have stopped at every point of interest along the way and have taken different routes

to and from. A lot depends on what route is taken and how much of a leisurely ride one takes.

The one stop that is a must is the Veterans Rock off 80 at the Greenfield exit hi-way 25 south. I have stopped there 6 times and it is a GREAT little stop.

Another stop I like is the Stuhr museum in Grand Island and the Archway in Kearney,NE.

Eating along the way I prefer truck stops there are a few good one's, but my favorite is

Bosselman truck-stop in Grand Island, NE

There is a good place in Julesburg for ice-cream. You will have a nice ad-VENTURE.

Lots of good memories and you will make some too!!...............Ron

Well to answer a few of the questions.

I don't know anything about first gens.

Wouldn't mind meeting people along the way, even Iowegiens. LOL Having a cup of coffe or what ever sounds good. I would most likely be going through there Sat afternoon.

Send me a PM and I will see if it fits with the "PLAN".

Daughter lives just north of Denver about 15 - 25 miles.

I plan on being in the Denver area only a couple of days so between the daughter a neice I probably will be streching things.

The stops mentioned sound good I will have to get a map out real soon and mark some stuff out.

Like I said I ain't blasting my way to Colorado. I do know that the riding is great out there but limited on time.

I don't mind stopping and starting up a conversation with anyone anywhere.

Anybody else out there with suggestions where I can go? That didn't come out just right did it? LOL

Guest BigJohnD

Well it sounds like you will be in the area...but to busy to get together for any riding.

I am just outside Brighton north east of Denver.

Not knowing your route it is hard to say what is interesting to see.

I ran across some road side stops with historical value to them. One was Massacre Canyon. No the soldiers were not the bad guys on this one...they saved one tribe of indians from being killed off by another tribe.

If you want a couple small trips around the area once yer here, let me know...I can point you toward some interesting roads that will be worth taking pictures. If you want, I can guide you...be my honor.

PM if interested.

On your return trip, leave enough time to see Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. You can make all this in a day, but it will be a full one. Call me if you want some riding company when you’re up this way. I’m in the VR Assistance List.

Being a Minn. Native,

Haveing driven to Colo. a few times from there,

my 2 cents worth would be---

The Black Hills--

The Devils Tower---

Can't think of anything else, until the Rockie Mountains are in sight

Maby a detour thru Yellowstone Park

Greetings...

Depending on when you arrive - Just south of Boone (just north of Des moines) on the Highway ( 30? in the 30's anyway... a nice alternative to the interstate), is, I think it's called, Ledges State park.

Very nice camping. If they still allow it. Haven't been there in a while...

I was born in that area. It's a beautiful area.

Depending on where you are leaving Minn from - Decorah - along the Upper Iowa river road, is also quite a nice ride loads of free places to camp or just stop for a lunch...

- Though again, the recent unpleasentness may have affected the area....

And certainly - Don't miss out on the lovely fragrance of the farmers spraying Pig Poo and Ammonia on the flood soaked fields! You certainly wouldn't want to miss out on THAT!!

Anyway! Have fun, and keep your eyes open for those tall green 12' plants with the funny leaves growing along the fence lines!

Grandpa always said that they are excellent for headaches and toothaches, and oddly enough for making rope!

Don't fall alseep in Nebraska. - Ah, the Tornado's will probably keep you awake anyway...

That's the only advice I have for THAT stretch of endless monotony...

Edited by Kandaje