IGNORED

Many cheap mods (1st Gen?)

5bikes

1. Add a $6-9 battery switch (60-70 amp available many auto supplies, ie. PepBoys) to the negative side of the battery. Mount switch next to battery (in fairing on 1st Gen.). Saves battery if bike sits for more than 2-3 weeks.

2. Add a 10 amp headlight switch to reduce the load when starting up on low/bad battery. Cut into fused side of the headlight circuit.

3. Add a 10 amp switch to turn on the radiator fan anytime. From the accessory side of fuse curcuit run power to a switch then down to the fan circuit along left side frame, light blue wire. The noise should remind you to shut off the power when engine is stopped. Use when thermostatic switch comes on too late, non functioning, or with extended idling.

4. Install individual switches for different accessories, if they don't completely shut off. (memory, clocks, CPU's)

5. Run external wires off the battery to connect a a charger so the cover does not have to be removed. Cover exposed ends well.

6. Screens on the radiator to easily remove bugs and prevent stone damage. Aluminum looks best.

7. Trunk handle- mounted to open trunk easier

8. Install power outlet for temporary accessories, car compressor, etc.

9. Magnets (strong ones) mounted on the center stand to trip stop lights, cheap at hardware stores.

10. Pull carb caps off and slide out. Replace white spacer to drop jet needle .010-.015" Needs to be deeper in emulsion tube. Increases MPG by 5. 1/2 hour job. Use small washers.

11. Drivers back rest. Mine cost $20-30. Walmart Igloo cooler. Added foam pad. Spongee corded to trunk and passeger handles. Adds a lot of storage.

12. Fork seals. Put a second set if yours are leaking on top of 1st set. Leave originals in place, they lubrication new set and last 50+k miles, 10 years longer! Use super glue around edges.

13. Add plexiglass wings around the windshield for added wind protection. Use a sharp drill and rubber washers.

14. Throttle rockers help weak wrists and reduce fatique, Ebay $10

15. Hiway forward pegs, JCWhitney, Ebay, allow legs to stretch.

16. Reposition clutch and brake levers so they are easy to reach, & even, this is a major safety item. I like them lower so my fingers do not have to wrap up over levers.

17. Lower the foot gear and rear brake levers so you do not have to lift you foot off the pegs. All are adjustable, easy job, much safer too.

18. I got more!!

Questions write me chuck_french@juno.com make sure you write a decent subject line so I don't delete.

• 1 month later...
Guest RogerRoger
But you forgot two great mods to a first gen. Squids battery cables and driving light mounts. Can't forget Squidley!

I thought he said he quit making them? Are they still available? :parrots:

Roger