IGNORED

adding POI's to your GPS

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Just a short note. I posted this info on the other forum I participate in, so for some of you this may be a repeat/you already knew this.

There are several POI files you can add to your Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan GPS units.

POI files are Points Of Interest.

I found a good source of these files here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/

You can add such things as all the USA Yamaha Dealers, Wal-Marts, Starbucks, Campgrounds, Festivals, Radio Stations Frequencies in your area, Lighthouses, Antique Stores, Scanner Freqs or Amateur Radio Repeaters, Cemeteries, Golf Courses, Nightclubs...whatever. Most of these files are free, but a few (like redlight camera locations) require a small 'donation'...

I loaded over 30,000 POI's into my 2 Garmin NUVI's, and this is in addition to the Members names that we got a while back, from, Pilot, I believe, if memory serves.

For the Garmin, its simply a matter of downloading a free POI loader, then installing that on your computer, then hooking up the Garmin to your computer via the USB cable, then downloading the POI files that you want. Magellan and TomTom have similar procedures, but MAY involve an extra step or two.

Pretty slick and now I can get addresses, phone numbers, and locations of thousands of places, and businesses, that are not included in the stock POI file included with the Garmin.

This Venture website is full of members who like to modify or tweak these bikes...you can do the same with a GPS.

Have fun!

I learned too late (or researched too little before buying) that my low cost off brand GPS does not make map updates available. It also does not give me a way to add POIs like the ones you have pointed out.

Don't get me wrong it does an adequate job of getting me from point a to point b and back again, but for $50 - $100 it could do much, much more.

Live and Learn!

Bug