IGNORED

Mirrors 83

I got the mirrors done, I only had one base with boot so I painted the other black.

I used a 10MM tap on the bases, I would like to have used larger mirrors may change them this was a test. Mirrors $17.00 from JC Whitney any suggestions welcome.

Dale

hdroyer,

If you want a matched set send me your address and I'll send you a boot. I scored a set of mirrors last fall on ebay and don't need the extra.

Great idea to adapt standard mirrors to the venture. Stock mirrors have been getting high prices on ebay.

Rick

Do they just screw right in to the existing holes? Did you have to do any modification to make them fit? I've got to replace my right mirror is why I asked. And yes, I like bigger mirrors too (brings out the truck driver in me).

I used a 5/16 drill & 10MM tap on the base.

There was a small whole in the base I used 3/16 then 1/4 then 5/16 and taped.

I would check the mirrors you use they do come in different thread sizes.

That's exactly what I wanted to try a few months ago, but the guy who said he was going to send me the bases never came thru.

You will find most mirrors are the 11mm thread. I wanted to try it out to test for vibration but alas you have done what I didn't have the chance to do. Let us know how the rubber under the base works out...

No reverse threading on the mirrors I used, pick your mirrors first then tap 10MM or 11MM.

I used 10MM for the test I can go up to 11mm if I change Mirrors.

Have the new Venom on its way for the front going to give them a go.

106.30 shipped 120/90-18 (American Motorcycle Tire) they have Elite III MU90HB-16 shipped for 120.76 may put one on when change the rear.

Dale

Just out of curiosity, is the left mirror threaded the same as the right? In other words, no reverse threading?

That is a good idea. Stock ones are getting hard to come by.

I stopped by our local dealership yesterday, just out of curiosity. I asked about a new right mirror for my '84. the price has jumped fro $70:yikes: to $250:yikes::yikes::yikes:. The kid behind the counter suggested that I check the salvage yards. Being smarter than the kid behind the counter, I know this isn't an option. We haven't had anything remotely resembling a salvage yard here that had wrecked motorcycles in at least 30 years. I need a right mirror so it looks like I'm gonna have to try this fix to get me two new mirrors.

OK, I went out and bought a pair of short stemmed mirrors that were threaded at 10mm. They were $13 each at the place where I got them. I then got out the bases I had purchased on Ebay. One mirror bolted right up, but the hole on the other base had been drilled out too large.

http://i37.tinypic.com/202l92.png

In looking at the underside of the hole, it was obvious the original owner had attempted to fix this error by wallowing out a spot below the hole to accommodate an M10 x 1.25 nut. The previous owner also had not succeeded because there still wasn't enough room for a nut to secure the mirror shaft from beneath.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2wozwcz.jpg

I ran down to Lowe's and snagged the appropriate nut and went back to the garage to finish the job. After a few passes with the Dremel and Drill Press, I was finally able to get the shaft threaded into the nut.

http://i35.tinypic.com/29kxvkm.png

With this task being completed, I finished mounting the mirrors.

http://i38.tinypic.com/67me61.png

Yes, I know I could have turned the mirrors on out, but I like them better close in like this. I don't have to turn my head as far to see them. Vibration doesn't seem to be as bad as it was with the original mirror, though the quality of the glass in these mirrors does leave a bit to be desired (some image warping around the edges). I then took it for a test ride and I'm very happy with the results. It's nice to have a mirror on the right side for a change. I will be keeping an eye out for original replacement mirrors on Ebay. They're almost as expensive as Gold at the moment.

Edited by Schlepporello