IGNORED

Cross breeding carb experiment

Damn you're good mm482! Just what I needed. And on top of that these are local hometown boys for me. I just joined the web site to see if I can hook up with this guy. Looks like he may have the answer I'm after.

Looks like another V-Max part that will work on a Venture.

:guitarist 2:

Thanks again.

Damn you're good mm482! Just what I needed. And on top of that these are local hometown boys for me. I just joined the web site to see if I can hook up with this guy. Looks like he may have the answer I'm after.

Looks like another V-Max part that will work on a Venture.

:guitarist 2:

Thanks again.

What are you looking and researching for ?

I'm quite familiar with both Bikes.

Hey Squeeze.

Well, long story short. HA! Not easy for me. LOL! I have an '84 1200. I bought the bike after 9 years of storage. (good storage) The carbs were my biggest problem as the floats were sinking and the needles hanging up flooding the bike when parked over night. I have been told repeatedly that the floats were no longer available and were no longer made at all. So I bought a spare bank of carbs and stripped out the good parts. The floats from those carbs were dried and treated with a light coat of airplane dope. When I did the rebuild I swapped out the floats with the treated one. No more flooding and no more rich smell when running and the bike starts fine. However, I am not able to get the fuel bowl level up to specs. The floats are adjusted to the point where if I go any furture the float bodies will hit the inside of the casing. This is due to the weight of the airplane dope treatment I'm sure. I am to the point of going back and changing back to the old floats now that they have dried out to see if the level can be brought back up to specs.

Now, with all my questions and reading every forum I can get on to it looks like the floats from the 34mm Mikunis off a V Max and the '86 and newer VRs will change out with my carbs. I'm sending an old float to RickH to match against one he has in stock for a V Max. From the photo I sent him he says it looks like it's a possiblity. New floats would end all my concerns.

The bike runs well as is but is a bit slow to respond on the WOT with the low fuel level. I took her out yesterday for a 340 mile run double up with gear and she did great and averaged 39.52 mpg at about 65 mph most the time. Oh, I should mention that at one point I did run her out a bit on the speedo for a mile or two. She had no problem hitting 105 mph and had room to go after that. She's not starving for sure.

So, what can you tell me on the subject? I'm all ears on this one.

Thanks.

Mike

From my Knowledge, all Parts except the Throttle Plates and Carb Bodies are interchangeable between Vmax and 1Gen's.

The Vmax has (from '86 to '07) 35mm Carbs, the Venture has 34 mm Carbs like the first Year Vmax.

There are Differences between the Air Lifter Holes on the early Sliders, maybe different Springs and Vacuum Ports in the Bodies, but other than this the are all the same.

So i dare to say, the Vmax Floaters will fit your Carbs.

Howdy Squeeze

Weird. That number came off a Yamaha parts CD on a breakdown for an '88 VR. They must have started cross referencing them a while back.

As long as they fit and float I don't care if they came from a Briggs & Stratton. LOL!

Thanks for the help on this. All I've heard from the time I bought the bike was that I was SOL on finding floats for it. Thus the airplane dope patch up job. It works, but it does add a bit of weight to the floats for sure.

I'll probably be yelling for you down the road. Got a few other projects in mind for later in the fall and over the winter.

Later

Mike

There's nothing weird about that.

Yammi brought the Venture in '83, used this Bike and the Motor for getting the Vmax on the Wheels and later, they cross used the Vmax Parts on the Ventures. Crank, Waterpump, Cover, Clutch, Carbs ... The 34mm Venture Carb share the same Casing as the 35mm Vmax Carbs. The 1300cc Crank and Con Rods are 1FK, Clutch, just about anything inside the Motor except Pistons, Tranny Gears and Cams and possibly the Valves. These Carbs have been used in other Bikes also, the Half ot it takes use in the 535 Virago, i'm not sure how this Bike is called in US.

As long as your Yelling does make me completely deaf, i don't mind being yelled at. I hope you can hold up to my Answers :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: