IGNORED

help, pooring gas out of breather, dropped cylinder

On the way to work this a.m., my bike started running rough, and there shortly after, I started smelling gas. I continued on to work, running on 3 cylinders. Made it to work and upon parking, I noitced the gas running out from under my 86 VR, while still running. I traced the gas to the breather hose from the back left cylinder on the bike. I pulled that spark plug and have spark, so it seems as if something in the carberatur has broken and not allowing the gas to reach the cylinder?

Any ideas? Wouldn't ya know it, the wife and I have a trip to the mtns. planned for this coming weekend. Just my luck I guess.

Sounds like one of your carbs has a piece of crap floating around in the float bowl. This is holding the float open causing it to run out of one of the overflow lines that come from the carbs. There are four overflow lines that dump the excess fuel out somewhere just ahead of the rear wheel. This happened to my 86 all so. I unhooked the gas line from the tank and let it suck up Sea-foam into the carbs. This I let set for the night. It smoked like crazy the next day but it had dislodged the offending junk. If you don't want to do this just follow the hose to the offending carb open the drain and sometimes it will clear out the debris.:2cents::D

Hope it's that easy. I tried to sharply tape on it to "release" what ever might be plugging things up, to no avail. I'll try some seasfoam this morning.

The aggrevateing thing is that it's not like the bike has just been sitting around. Been riding for the last several months and the bike has been running beautifully. But I guess it's possible that I picked up something from one of my last fill ups that has found it's way to the float?

My right inner carb done the same thing today, I took the air filter box right off to take a look at the top of the carbs, started the bike up and out the gas poured. Tap the carb bowl with a piece of wood, give it a good whack and it should stop.

Oh you guys are good. I bought a can of sea foam shortly after getting to work, and put some in the gas tank and ran it long enough to get the mix to the carbs. and shut it off. Went and got some work done, came back and ran it a few more minutes, went and di some more work, and I did this 3 or 4 times and all of a sudden, the gas stopped coming out of the over flow line, although it was still running rough, which I contributed to the seafoam mix. SO, I left work and rode 10 miles to the first gas station and topped off, about 3.3 gallons, and rode on home. By the time I got here, she was running strong again, took her up to 100 in 4 and she was still pulling like she should.

Problem solved.

I've had this bike for about 15 years and 53,000 miles, and this was the first time I had this happen and it really worried me that something was going terribly run inside, and I really don't need an unexpected repair bill right now, not that any time is a good time for those.

I sure appreciate the quick and helpful replys. As usual, you guys were right on the money.

Thanks!!!!!!!! You guys ROCK!:guitarist 2: