IGNORED

What good is our warrantee?

Guest 2mike2

Thats simple enough to explain on warranty work.

When you get work done almost all shops work on book rate and book rate is almost always listed longer than it takes a seasoned technician. So if you go in to have a trunk rack put on it may list 2 hours at $65.00 an hour for the shop to charge you to do it but in reality it may take 40 min. The technician and shop still get paid the 2 hours @ $65.00. Now on most warranty work, but not all, it works the opposite. Warranty pay is usually a good deal less, maybe $40.00 an hour is what the shop gets paid by Yamaha. And then the book time for warranty is usually spot on or lower. Take the inner fairing. I believe I remember correctly that the book time is 2.5 hours to replace it. Anyone that has tried will tell you it's almost double that. Almost every wire has to be moved and disconnected and all the inner sub frames removed. So the shop and tech are getting paid 2 hours to do 4 hours worth of work and the shop is making less money to do it.

In other words customer work - $130.00 for 40 min of actual work and warranty work - $100.00 for almost 5 hours of work. I'm not saying it's right but which scenario would you chose?

Had a Kawi Nomad almost 10 years, the only thing the dealer did was change a tire, and botched it! Had Hondas since early 70's to late 80's never let the dealers touch them, but found them to be exceptionally arogant and unhelpfull. So far haven't had any warranty issues on my RSV but did run into mostly uninformed dealers. The nearest dealer to my house (this guy has been here for a looong time and is exclusive Yamaha) actually has employees on the parts counter that don't know what a Venture is!!!!

And of course many years ago I had a Norton 500 that cracked a cylinder. The dealer just plain told me - throw it away, youll never find one. Ultimately I did cause he was right - the only way I would have been able to get one would have been in someone's suitcase direct from UK, needless to say for virtually the cost of a bike!

So all these complaints about dealers don't phase me at all. I would be amazed to find a good one.

Spud I dont have a convertor in front of me but looking up the load capacity of each bike from the manufacturers it is:

VTX 1300 - 330 pounds and it holds just under 5 gallons

RSV - 418 pounds and it holds 6 gallons.

My group has 1 VTX 1300 and 1 VTX 1800. The 1800 gets about 125 miles till it needs to be refilled. The 1300 actually does slightly better but still wont go much higher than 136-140. I routinely do better than 165.

And again if you add on the weight of the full fairing, side bags and trunk that has to add better than 100 pounds easy.

So now the load capacity is under 250 where the RSV is still better than 400. I can find out the exact weight if you'd like. Both of the VTX's just purchased the Tsukyau touring kits. Which I'm sure will cut down a little on their MPG.

Not knocking either bike, they both run good and have had limited problems, but their are inherent problems with them also.

In case I am missing the boat and you are talking about the new VTX1800T, which I'm not sure is available yet, you are still talking about a windshield, not fairing, leather side bags and no trunk but a little better load capacity according to Honda. Although he actually stated a little better so I'm not sure if that means 70 pounds or not.

Edited by WIKD

spud you forget the over heating issue on the gold wing and the pain it takes to change the air filter,cramped leg space/etc.etc. i like the fact that we expose the problems with this bike it helps get the work done i can go here get the info use it myself or show it to the local wrench and he spends less time looking for problems my buddie on a Victory talks in a groop about no problems with his bike i start picturing all the times i had to push start him and go get his truck and some other guys trailer to get him back home 1/2 my day gone so many do not want to admit to there bikes flaws so they keep a tight lip i knew all about these issues before i bought and i would do it again oh! one more thing you can't get a vtx with that V-4

Edited by Rodburner

So I'm gonna take a demo ride on a Rocket 3 Tourer, at Sturgis in a few weeks.

I'll let yall know how that goes.

Hey Brian where did you get the graphics for your bike? They are really sharp.

I sold my 05 Rocket III standard. I had to bike for 2 yrs. never any problems and the power was ridiculous (obviously). It was great to blow away those $40,000 custom show offs with my $14,000 completely stock Rocket. Not to mention the kids on their crotch rockets. You should have seen the look on their faces when an "old man" on his cruiser with windshield and bags passes them smiling at 140mph+. But I got the speed out of my system and went back to a tourer which I aways liked.

By the way... The standard Rocket III is 147ft. lbs. of torque, and 140hp. The Rocket III Tourer's engine has been modified... 153ft.lbs. of torque by only 100hp.

Be careful, if you got the money your gonna buy it, that's what happened to me!